COVID-19 Increasing in the City
The rising rate of COVID-19 is most pronounced in the Black community.
For more than a month now cases of COVID-19 have been increasing.
A weekly report developed by epidemiologists and faculty at the Medical College of Wisconsin and UW-Milwaukee shows that the rise in cases continues to proceed gradually, compared to previous spikes.
Rausch works with the team on the weekly report, and he noted during a media briefing cases are increasing among children and adults, and that the rise in Milwaukee County is occurring mostly in the city of Milwaukee.
The transmission rate, which measures how many people, on average, will catch the virus from one confirmed case, has been above 1.0 for nearly a month. A transmission rate below 1.0 is required for community suppression of the disease.
The transmission rate in Milwaukee County, like the rise in cases, is being driven by the city of Milwaukee. The suburbs currently have a flat transmission rate holding below 1.0.
The positivity rate, which measures the percentage of tests that come back positive for COVID-19 is currently dropping. This past week it was 5% for the county, the week before it was 5.7%.
Like other metrics, the city has the higher positivity rate at 5.7%, while the suburbs were at 4% this past week.
Looking at the demographics of the disease, Rausch noted that the current rate of change is highest among the Black community. Recently, the incidence rate of COVID-19 among Black residents surpassed white residents.
The Black community also has the second highest rate of hospitalization in the county. American Indian and Alaskan Native (AIAN), Hispanic and Asian residents have higher rates of disease. AIAN residents have the highest rate of hospitalization and death.
Rausch said all this demonstrates “that disparity that we’ve seen for a long time.”
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- FDA Approves Vaccine for Kids 12 to 15 - Graham Kilmer - May 10th, 2021
- Black Husky Hosting Vaccine Clinic - Graham Kilmer - May 10th, 2021
- WI Daily: 205 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 10th, 2021
- It’s time to re-open City Hall - Ald. Michael Murphy - May 10th, 2021
- Officials Push To Vaccinate Kids 12 to 15 - Shamane Mills - May 10th, 2021
- WI Daily: 308 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 9th, 2021
- WI Daily: 525 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 8th, 2021
- COVID-19 Testing Results Must Be Made Public - Erika Siemsen - May 7th, 2021
- WI Daily: 662 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 7th, 2021
- In New Interview, Ron Johnson Parrots Tucker Carlson’s Vaccine Lies - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 7th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here