French Island Wells Show PFAS Pollution
State investigates, gives bottled water to residents of island off-shore from La Crosse.
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and several other state agencies are working to provide bottled water to residents of French Island with private drinking wells that may be contaminated with harmful “forever chemicals.”
The island has 1,200 private wells and PFAS chemicals have been found in 180 of them, while other residents await test results.
The DNR is working with water treatment company Culligan to provide residents with five-gallon jugs of clean water.
French Island sits across the Black River from the City of La Crosse. The La Crosse Regional Airport is on the northern part of the island while the Town of Campbell and its 4,300 residents are on the southern part.
The airport is the likely reason PFAS have been found in drinking water across the island because the chemicals are used in firefighting foam commonly used to train and respond to airplane crashes.
The City of La Crosse is providing water to some of the island’s residents but has refused to give water to others. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported that La Crosse Mayor Tim Kabat directed city workers not to provide bottled water to residents who get water from wells that were contaminated with PFAS but at a levels lower than 20 parts per trillion — despite a recommendation from the DNR not to do so.
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services declared a drinking water advisory for the island last week, enabling the DNR to give people clean water while additional wells are tested.
PFAS, per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, are a group of man-made chemicals used in a variety of industries for decades that do not break down in the environment. Long term exposure to the chemicals can lead to harmful effects in humans.
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
- DNR Extends Deadline For Town Of Peshtigo Residents To Receive Free PFAS Sampling Of Private Drinking Water Wells - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 9th, 2021
- Business Lobby Sues DNR Over PFAS Testing - Danielle Kaeding - Apr 1st, 2021
- French Island Wells Show PFAS Pollution - Isiah Holmes - Mar 30th, 2021
- Multiple State Agencies Responding To PFAS Contamination On French Island - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Mar 25th, 2021
- Senate Passes Bill To Prevent Rape Kit Backlog - Shawn Johnson - Mar 16th, 2021
- DNR To Host Virtual Listening Sessions Regarding PFAS Investigation In Marinette, Peshtigo And Surrounding Communities On March 17 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Mar 16th, 2021
- Campaign Cash: Companies Accused of Polluting Donated $72,000 - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Mar 9th, 2021
- DNR Continues PFAS Drinking Water Well Sampling In Town Of Peshtigo - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Mar 5th, 2021
- Evers Budget Addresses ‘Forever Chemicals’ - Isiah Holmes - Feb 23rd, 2021
- DNR Launches PFAS External Advisory Group - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Feb 19th, 2021
Read more about PFAS Problem here