90 Cases of COVID-19 at House of Correction
The jail is also reporting 28 case of COVID-19.
The Milwaukee County House of Correction (HOC) has 90 incarcerated people and 19 staff members that have tested positive for COVID-19 after the entire facility was tested last week.
The HOC announced its first case of COVID-19 on April 3rd. From there, the virus spread through the facility. By the end of the month, the National Guard was on site conducting mass-testing at the facility, which found 105 cases of COVID-19 among the people incarcerated there.
The facility instituted new mitigation efforts, which included a cap on the number of individuals that can be housed in a dormitory and stepped-up cleaning and sanitation efforts. By mid-May, the county was reporting that there were no new cases of COVID-19 at the facility.
The county is still working to “track the source of the infections” and one of the new efforts at HOC will be “enhanced contact tracing,” the county executive said.
The county maintains a dashboard that records how many cases of COVID-19 there are among people in the county’s custody. It shows that there are 28 cases of COVID-19 among those in custody at the Milwaukee County Jail and 27 cases among staff. At the Vel R. Philips Juvenile Justice Center, one child and six staff members have COVID-19.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits.
More about the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Milwaukee County Announces New Policies Related to COVID-19 Pandemic - County Executive David Crowley - May 9th, 2023
- DHS Details End of Emergency COVID-19 Response - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 26th, 2023
- Milwaukee Health Department Announces Upcoming Changes to COVID-19 Services - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Mar 17th, 2023
- Fitzgerald Applauds Passage of COVID-19 Origin Act - U.S. Rep Scott Fitzgerald - Mar 10th, 2023
- DHS Expands Free COVID-19 Testing Program - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 10th, 2023
- MKE County: COVID-19 Hospitalizations Rising - Graham Kilmer - Jan 16th, 2023
- Not Enough Getting Bivalent Booster Shots, State Health Officials Warn - Gaby Vinick - Dec 26th, 2022
- Nearly All Wisconsinites Age 6 Months and Older Now Eligible for Updated COVID-19 Vaccine - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 15th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Bi-Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Dec 9th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Disease Burden Remains Stable - Graham Kilmer - Nov 25th, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Political Contributions Tracker
Displaying political contributions between people mentioned in this story. Learn more.
Board Takes Over Redistricting, Rejects Independent EffortOct 23rd, 2021 by Graham Kilmer
Independent Committee Submits Final Map for Supervisor DistrictsOct 20th, 2021 by Graham Kilmer
COVID-19 Case Burden Remains HighOct 6th, 2021 by Graham Kilmer