105 Cases of COVID-19 at House of Correction
As the results come in from mass testing over the weekend the case count continues to grow.
More than 100 inmates at the Milwaukee County House of Correction (HOC) have tested positive for the COVID-19.
The Wisconsin National Guard conducted testing on every inmate over the weekend, except one that objected on religious grounds. Approximately 50 results are still pending, but one of out six inmates has tested positive for the disease.
HOC Superintendent Michael Hafemann said 104 inmates and one additional individual on electronic monitoring have confirmed cases of the disease. Of the 105 confirmed cases, only one is a female.
The HOC, located in suburban Franklin, also has seven confirmed cases of the illness among its staff and nine staff members that are presumed positive based upon their symptoms by their healthcare providers. All 426 correctional staff members were tested over the weekend, but over 100 results of the results are still pending said Hafemann.
The outbreak of COVID-19 at the HOC was first reported in early April when a single case was confirmed. But the spread escalated quickly and had risen to 27 inmates before the comprehensive testing began.
There is one confirmed case and 90 pending tests at the downtown jail. Milwaukee County has taken steps to limit new jail admissions and increase spacing between inmates when possible.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- WI Daily: 689 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 27th, 2021
- HDA Statement on FDA Authorization of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine - Healthcare Distribution Alliance - Feb 27th, 2021
- Gallagher Statement on Pelosi’s Payout - U.S. Rep Mike Gallagher - Feb 27th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Declining to Summer Levels - Graham Kilmer - Feb 26th, 2021
- State Launches Vaccine Provider Map - Graham Kilmer - Feb 26th, 2021
- WI Daily: 656 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 26th, 2021
- Supervisor Martin Calls on State Officials to Prioritize District 7 in Vaccination Effort - Sup. Felesia Martin - Feb 26th, 2021
- WI Daily: 840 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 25th, 2021
- Evers Signs Bill on Unemployment System - Laurel White - Feb 25th, 2021
- DHS Announces Groups Eligible for COVID-19 Vaccine on March 1 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 25th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here