Justice Bradley Won’t Recuse Herself
Rebecca Bradley will hear challenge to Evers' health order from donor who gave her campaign $20,000.
Conservative Justice Rebecca Bradley heard arguments Monday in a lawsuit brought by a major campaign donor challenging the governor’s authority to issue successive public health orders amid the covid-19 pandemic.
The suit was brought by Jere Fabick, of Oconomowoc, owner of FABCO Equipment, who contributed the maximum $20,000 to Bradley’s campaign on March 15, 2016 when she was running for a 10-year term on the court. Rebecca Bradley is part of the high court’s 4-3 conservative majority.
Fabick, who is also on the board of directors of the Heartland Institute, a rightwing Illinois think tank, is a loyal GOP donor. Fabick contributed about $355,900 to mostly Republican legislative and statewide candidates between January 1994 and June 2020.
The suit accused Evers of acting unlawfully when he issued successive emergency orders in July and September aimed at controlling the pandemic because the law grants him only one opportunity to do that. He issued is first 60-day emergency order in March, which expired in May.
Last May, the high court’s conservative majority ruled 4-3 in favor of a lawsuit brought by the GOP-controlled legislature to strike down an attempt by state health officials to extend his first order after it expired.
- WI Daily: Record 107 COVID-19 Deaths Reported - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 1st, 2020
- City Will Issue Higher COVID-19 Fines - Graham Kilmer - Dec 1st, 2020
- Leaders of Wisconsin’s Two Medical Schools Urge Everyone to Take Action During the COVID-19 Outbreak - Medical College of Wisconsin - Dec 1st, 2020
- 49 AGs Urge Congress to Pass Extension for CARES Act Funding as Pandemic Impacts Economy - Josh Kaul - Dec 1st, 2020
- Op Ed: Paging Dr. Johnson - Bill Kaplan - Dec 1st, 2020
- Pharmacies Say Reforms Needed for Vaccine - Rich Kremer - Dec 1st, 2020
- WI Daily: 2,524 New COVID-19 Cases - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 30th, 2020
- Pandemic Slams State’s Hotels - Corri Hess - Nov 30th, 2020
- The State of Politics: How Evers Spent $2 Billion to Fight Covid - Steven Walters - Nov 30th, 2020
- WILL Files Motion for Contempt After City of Racine Ignores Supreme Court Order - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Nov 30th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here