Justice Bradley Won’t Recuse Herself
Rebecca Bradley will hear challenge to Evers' health order from donor who gave her campaign $20,000.
Conservative Justice Rebecca Bradley heard arguments Monday in a lawsuit brought by a major campaign donor challenging the governor’s authority to issue successive public health orders amid the covid-19 pandemic.
The suit was brought by Jere Fabick, of Oconomowoc, owner of FABCO Equipment, who contributed the maximum $20,000 to Bradley’s campaign on March 15, 2016 when she was running for a 10-year term on the court. Rebecca Bradley is part of the high court’s 4-3 conservative majority.
Fabick, who is also on the board of directors of the Heartland Institute, a rightwing Illinois think tank, is a loyal GOP donor. Fabick contributed about $355,900 to mostly Republican legislative and statewide candidates between January 1994 and June 2020.
The suit accused Evers of acting unlawfully when he issued successive emergency orders in July and September aimed at controlling the pandemic because the law grants him only one opportunity to do that. He issued is first 60-day emergency order in March, which expired in May.
Last May, the high court’s conservative majority ruled 4-3 in favor of a lawsuit brought by the GOP-controlled legislature to strike down an attempt by state health officials to extend his first order after it expired.
- WI Daily: 667 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 6th, 2021
- UW System campuses preparing for return of precollege and youth programs this summer - University of Wisconsin System - May 6th, 2021
- WI Daily: 639 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 5th, 2021
- Data Wonk: Ron Johnson Threatens Republicans - Bruce Thompson - May 5th, 2021
- WI Daily: 721 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 4th, 2021
- DHS Connecting Vaccinators with Groups Wanting On-Site Vaccination Clinics - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - May 4th, 2021
- WI Daily: 349 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 3rd, 2021
- State Capitol Reopens To The Public - Henry Redman - May 3rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 405 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 2nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 675 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 1st, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here