Judge Blocks Evers Rule on Restaurants, Bars
Temporarily blocks health order’s capacity limits in response to Tavern League suit.
Judge John Yackel sided with the Tavern League, blocking the emergency health order Wednesday morning and set a court date for Monday.
The order, which went into effect Thursday, requires bars and restaurants across the state to limit capacity to 25 percent until Nov. 6.
The Evers administration has argued its powers to act unilaterally to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic haven’t expired, because status of the pandemic has changed drastically in Wisconsin. Gov. Tony Evers has issued three states of the emergency responding to the pandemic in Wisconsin since March, which can last for a maximum of 60 days.
Another emergency order from the governor’s administration extending the statewide mask mandate is also facing a legal challenge.
The ruling Wednesday comes as the state continues to set records for confirmed cases of COVID-19, deaths and hospitalizations. It also comes a day after the state broke two records for new daily cases reached and deaths reported. Thirty-four deaths were reported and 3,279 new cases.
Judge Blocks Evers Administration’s Order Limiting Bar Capacity, Gatherings was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- MKE County: COVID-19 Metrics Show Disease Surging Countywide - Graham Kilmer - Jul 30th, 2021
- City Hall: Six Council Members Want Tougher Pandemic Rules - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 27th, 2021
- Officials Urge a Return to Mask Wearing - Graham Kilmer - Jul 27th, 2021
- MKE County: Plan Offers Vaccine Incentive for Jail, HOC - Graham Kilmer - Jul 26th, 2021
- UW System To Offer Scholarships For Vaccinated Students - Rich Kremer - Jul 26th, 2021
- Will Bucks Celebrations Hike COVID-19 Cases? - Corri Hess - Jul 25th, 2021
- MKE County: City COVID-19 Transmission Higher Than Suburbs - Graham Kilmer - Jul 23rd, 2021
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 23rd, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department Hosts 20th Annual Back-to-School Health Fairs - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 23rd, 2021
- Are Vaccine Mandates Legal? - Elizabeth Dohms-Harter - Jul 23rd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here