Judge Blocks Evers Rule on Restaurants, Bars
Temporarily blocks health order’s capacity limits in response to Tavern League suit.
Judge John Yackel sided with the Tavern League, blocking the emergency health order Wednesday morning and set a court date for Monday.
The order, which went into effect Thursday, requires bars and restaurants across the state to limit capacity to 25 percent until Nov. 6.
The Evers administration has argued its powers to act unilaterally to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic haven’t expired, because status of the pandemic has changed drastically in Wisconsin. Gov. Tony Evers has issued three states of the emergency responding to the pandemic in Wisconsin since March, which can last for a maximum of 60 days.
Another emergency order from the governor’s administration extending the statewide mask mandate is also facing a legal challenge.
The ruling Wednesday comes as the state continues to set records for confirmed cases of COVID-19, deaths and hospitalizations. It also comes a day after the state broke two records for new daily cases reached and deaths reported. Thirty-four deaths were reported and 3,279 new cases.
Judge Blocks Evers Administration’s Order Limiting Bar Capacity, Gatherings was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Appeal Challenges Evers’ Bar Restaurant Limits - Shawn Johnson - Oct 21st, 2020
- Versiti Increases Access to Life-Saving Plasma for Milwaukee Communities at Greatest Risk with Support from Greater Milwaukee Foundation - Versiti Blood Center of Wisconsin - Oct 21st, 2020
- WI Daily: 43% of Wisconsin’s COVID-19 Cases Have Come in Past Month - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 20th, 2020
- WI Daily: Record 1,172 People Actively Hospitalized With COVID-19 As DHS Restores Dashboard - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 19th, 2020
- Judge Restores Restaurant, Bar Restrictions - Shawn Johnson - Oct 19th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement on Denial of Temporary Injunction Request for State’s Public Gathering Limits - Gov. Tony Evers - Oct 19th, 2020
- Op Ed: Demand a Joint Vos and Evers Virus Plan - John Torinus - Oct 18th, 2020
- Health Departments Plan For Mass Vaccine Distribution - Rich Kremer - Oct 18th, 2020
- WI Daily: No COVID-19 Data Release This Weekend - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 17th, 2020
- Waukesha County Exec Has COVID-19 - Erik Gunn - Oct 17th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here