Judge Blocks Evers Rule on Restaurants, Bars
Temporarily blocks health order’s capacity limits in response to Tavern League suit.
Judge John Yackel sided with the Tavern League, blocking the emergency health order Wednesday morning and set a court date for Monday.
The order, which went into effect Thursday, requires bars and restaurants across the state to limit capacity to 25 percent until Nov. 6.
The Evers administration has argued its powers to act unilaterally to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic haven’t expired, because status of the pandemic has changed drastically in Wisconsin. Gov. Tony Evers has issued three states of the emergency responding to the pandemic in Wisconsin since March, which can last for a maximum of 60 days.
Another emergency order from the governor’s administration extending the statewide mask mandate is also facing a legal challenge.
The ruling Wednesday comes as the state continues to set records for confirmed cases of COVID-19, deaths and hospitalizations. It also comes a day after the state broke two records for new daily cases reached and deaths reported. Thirty-four deaths were reported and 3,279 new cases.
Judge Blocks Evers Administration’s Order Limiting Bar Capacity, Gatherings was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- WI Daily: 747 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor the More Than 6,300 Wisconsinites and 500,000 Americans Lost to COVID-19 - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 23rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 423 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Supervisor Goodwin Calls on Legislature and Governor Evers to Enact Wisconsin Stimulus Package - Sup. Shawn Rolland - Feb 22nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 403 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 21st, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here