Officials Prepping State Fair Park Care Facility
Hospitalization surge in COVID cases pushes northeast Wisconsin hospitals to their limits.
Wisconsin continues to set record highs in active COVID-19 hospitalizations over the past month. The 853 people reported to be actively hospitalized with a confirmed case of the disease on Tuesday afternoon is up 130% from just three weeks ago.
And as hospital capacity dwindles, the state is expected to press an overflow facility at Wisconsin State Fair Park in West Allis into service. A formal announcement is expected Wednesday afternoon with the facility opening next week.
“We are hoping that you can criticize us two, three, four weeks from now and say you shouldn’t have done that,” said Mayor Tom Barrett on April 9th in describing the facility as an “insurance policy.”
Now the state is expecting to need the capacity, but not because of Milwaukee area residents. Hospital capacity is particularly limited in the northeast corner of the state. Brown County, home of Green Bay, is the state’s leader in per-capita COVID-19 spread. Milwaukee held the title for much of the summer, but was passed by Brown and now three other counties in recent weeks.
The facility currently has 530 beds and is scheduled to open October 14th. It does not provide the full range of care available in a hospital, but offers a basic level of oversight and comfort.
The state’s recent case totals are nearly triple what they were a month ago, and hospitalizations are a lagging indicator of the disease’s spread.
A similar facility was planned for Dane County, but was never completed. McCormick Place, Chicago’s convention center, was partially converted to an alternative care facility.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Hospitalizations Up 122% In Last Month, 1,439 Actively Hospitalized - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 28th, 2020
- Pocan: “President Trump’s Superspreader Events A Danger to Wisconsin” - U.S. Rep Mark Pocan - Oct 28th, 2020
- WI Daily: 64 Deaths, 5,262 New COVID-19 Cases - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 27th, 2020
- New City Health Order Limits Gatherings - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 26th, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4.2 Order Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Oct 26th, 2020
- WI Daily: 2,883 New COVID-19 Cases, Record 1,350 People Actively Hopspitalized - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 26th, 2020
- WI Daily: 3,626 New COVID-19 Cases, Another Active Hospitalization Record High - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 25th, 2020
- WI Daily: Milwaukee County Falls to 14th Worst Outbreak, Even As Cases Accelerate - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 24th, 2020
- Appeals Court Blocks State Restaurant, Bar Rules - Shawn Johnson - Oct 24th, 2020
- Milwaukee Unemployment at 8.4% - Graham Kilmer - Oct 23rd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here