State High Court Rejects Green Party Appeal
Party won’t be allowed on ballot, clerks can begin mailing absentee ballots.
Conservative Justice Brian Hagedorn joined the court’s three liberals in ruling against Hawkins. The court also lifted its order barring clerks from mailing ballots, meaning those mailings can move forward.
The court ordered clerks to stop mailing ballots last week while it considered the case.
“For this court to order the printing and mailing of replacement ballots containing the petitioners’ names would create a substantial possibility of confusion among voters who had already received, and possibly returned, the original ballots,” read the majority opinion. “Under the circumstances presented here, it would be unfair both to Wisconsin voters and to the other candidates on the general election ballot to interfere in an election that, for all intents and purposes, has already begun.”
County clerks told the court last week that they had already printed at least 2.3 million ballots. Clerks are required by state law to begin mailing absentee ballots to voters on Thursday.
Wisconsin Supreme Court Rejects Green Party Effort To Get On Presidential Ballot was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Federal Court Requires Wisconsin to Take Immediate Action to Ensure Safe Voting in November - Protect Democracy - Sep 21st, 2020
- Trump At Issue in State Assembly Races - Melanie Conklin - Sep 20th, 2020
- Trump Announces $13 Billion Farm Aid - Rob Mentzer - Sep 18th, 2020
- Wisconsin Farmers Union President Responds to Trump’s Visit, Reports That He’ll Announce Farm Aid - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Sep 17th, 2020
- Democratic Party of Wisconsin Statement on Donald Trump Jr. Visit - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Sep 15th, 2020
- City Hall: City Election Drop Boxes Are Temporary - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 15th, 2020
- Pence to Janesville “The Choice is Clear” - Shamane Mills - Sep 14th, 2020
- State High Court Rejects Green Party Appeal - Shawn Johnson - Sep 14th, 2020
- State High Court Ruling Forces Printers to Stop the Presses - Henry Redman - Sep 13th, 2020
- Parks and Recreation Cast to Reunite For Absentee and Early Voting Push in Wisconsin - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Sep 12th, 2020
Read more about 2020 General Election here