State High Court Rejects Green Party Appeal
Party won’t be allowed on ballot, clerks can begin mailing absentee ballots.
Conservative Justice Brian Hagedorn joined the court’s three liberals in ruling against Hawkins. The court also lifted its order barring clerks from mailing ballots, meaning those mailings can move forward.
The court ordered clerks to stop mailing ballots last week while it considered the case.
“For this court to order the printing and mailing of replacement ballots containing the petitioners’ names would create a substantial possibility of confusion among voters who had already received, and possibly returned, the original ballots,” read the majority opinion. “Under the circumstances presented here, it would be unfair both to Wisconsin voters and to the other candidates on the general election ballot to interfere in an election that, for all intents and purposes, has already begun.”
County clerks told the court last week that they had already printed at least 2.3 million ballots. Clerks are required by state law to begin mailing absentee ballots to voters on Thursday.
Wisconsin Supreme Court Rejects Green Party Effort To Get On Presidential Ballot was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Data Wonk: The Private Election Grants Didn’t Help Biden - Bruce Thompson - Jun 16th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: How Vos Pushes The Big Lie - Bruce Murphy - Jun 1st, 2021
- Hesselbein Votes No to Republican Private Investigators - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - May 28th, 2021
- Robin Vos Wasting Taxpayer Resources To Investigate Non-Existent Voter Fraud - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission to Discuss Suspected Voter Fraud Reports for 2020 and 2021 Elections - Wisconsin Elections Commission - May 24th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The Vanishing Courage of Mike Gallagher - Bruce Murphy - May 11th, 2021
- Op Ed: Liz Cheney’s Profile In Courage - Dave Cieslewicz - May 9th, 2021
- Spindell Gets Second Term on Elections Commission - Henry Redman - Apr 30th, 2021
- A Tale of Two Elections - Melanie Conklin - Apr 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission Head Saw No Problems in Green Bay - Megan Hart - Mar 31st, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here