How to Protest During a Pandemic
Local health officials offers do's and don'ts that could save your life.
During a media briefing on the COVID-19 pandemic, local officials stressed that it remains important for protesters to follow social distancing guidelines as best they can while they march through town.
As City of Milwaukee Health Commissioner Jeanette Kowalik put it, “We’re dealing with a crisis within a crisis… The fact of the matter is COVID-19 is here, it’s a pandemic.” And now, the crisis of racism is being illuminated by the massive uprising of protests over the killing of George Floyd and police brutality, bringing thousands into the streets.
“We’re in double crisis mode, right now,” she said, “dealing with COVID and also dealing with racism.” And there have been many questions, she said, “about risk and people deciding about whether they were gonna go out and take a stand for not only the now but the future, knowing that the risk of contracting COVID-19 is high especially when you’re congregated.”
Dr. Ben Weston, director of medical services for Milwaukee County, said “It’s important as ever to be safe and mindful of our ongoing pandemic. Exercising the essential right to demonstrate and speak freely does not have to be mutually exclusive from maintaining safety in the time of COVID-19.”
Weston said some precautions protesters can take include wearing a mask at all times, staying outdoors, continuously moving and maintaining several feet of distance from one another. Kowalik encouraged making sure your mask fits properly, and bringing hand sanitizer to ensure proper hand hygiene.
The City of Milwaukee’s Office of Violence Prevention has been at the protests handing out Personal Protective Equipment. Director Reggie Moore said its staff have passed out more than 900 masks during the protests.
Leaders and health officials also encouraged protesters and residents to continue to take advantage of the community testing sites at UMOS, 2701 S. Chase Ave. on the South Side and now at a new one on the North Side at the Barack Obama School of Career and Technical Education at 5075 N. Sherman Blvd.
Said Crowley: “If there are individuals who were out protesting and do feel symptomatic, please do not wait to call your doctor, get tested, please call 211 to find the testing site near you.”
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Two Milwaukee Brewers Have COVID-19 - Brady Carlson - Jul 7th, 2020
- Legislators Who Opposed Pandemic Aid Grab Grants - Erik Gunn - Jul 7th, 2020
- Wisconsin To Have Nation’s COVID-19 Testing Center - Rob Mentzer - Jul 7th, 2020
- BBB Alert: Mask Exemption Cards are Fake - Wisconsin Better Business Bureau - Jul 7th, 2020
- Milwaukee-Area Company Offers 1 Million Free Masks To Help Residents Comply With Proposed City Mandatory Mask Ordinance For Public Places - Rebel Converting - Jul 7th, 2020
- City Hall: What Is And Isn’t In Milwaukee’s Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 6th, 2020
- MKE Cares Ordinance Released: Plan Includes Masks for All and Gains Support - Ald. Marina Dimitrijevic - Jul 6th, 2020
- WI Daily: Three Days of No Deaths, 18 Days of Rising Case Rate - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 6th, 2020
- UW Tests Drug For COVID-19 Complications - Shamane Mills - Jul 6th, 2020
- Milwaukee Art Museum Reopening July 16 - Milwaukee Art Museum - Jul 6th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Experts Say Legal System Impedes Police Reform - Margo Kirchner - Jul 7th, 2020
- Officer Accused of Assaulting Protester - Corri Hess - Jul 6th, 2020
- Plenty of Horne: Quadracci Sets Off Employee Rebellion - Michael Horne - Jul 6th, 2020
- Will MPS End Truancy Program? - Sam Woods - Jul 6th, 2020
- Butler Outspends Milwaukee on Per Capita Policing - Henry Redman - Jul 6th, 2020
- Protesters Call for Justice for Vanessa Guillen - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Group Repainting Defund Mural, MPD Watches - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Protest Day 37: Marches, Celebrations, Calls For Justice - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Rep. Brostoff’s Livestream From Tonight’s March - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Florists For Social Justice at Sherman Phoenix - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
Read more about George Floyd Protests here