EMS Calls Show 54% Spike in Drug Overdoses, 80% Increase in Suicide Attempts
Milwaukee County experiencing a death toll beyond the disease itself.
Milwaukee County’s Emergency Medical Services Division has seen a drastic increase in calls for mental health concerns and drug overdoses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Looking at Emergency Medical Service (EMS) calls during March and April, and comparing them to calls during the same months in 2019, a startling picture emerges.
There has been a 70 percent increase in EMS responses to mental health concerns, a 54 percent increase in responses to drug overdoses and a “very concerning” 80 percent increase in responses to suicide attempts, said Dr. Ben Weston, director of Medical Services for Milwaukee County.
“These reasons for patients seeking help… represent, I think, the weight that COVID-19 places on our community,” Weston said.
Suffering is a constant during the pandemic, and it is hardly out of sight. “We see the struggle with a person dying from COVID-19 on a ventilator in a hospital, where no visitors are allowed. We see the struggle with the mother of three who’s furloughed from work and can’t pay her rent,” said Weston
But these EMS calls, 1,884 of them, “those individuals have a struggle that is often not seen.”
“The hard work of social distancing has paid off,” Weston said, as officials are beginning to see a slowdown in new COVID-19 cases. “And we as a community, I think, are nearing a time where we can gradually pull back staying at home.
There will be an end to COVID-19. “It won’t be a week. It won’t be next month,” Weston said. “But it will come.”
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- WI Daily: Over 1,000 New Cases, But Active Hospitalizations Drop - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 14th, 2020
- Senator Baldwin and Representatives Moore, Kind, and Pocan Call on President Trump to Extend Full Federal Funding for Wisconsin National Guard to Fight COVID-19 Pandemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Aug 14th, 2020
- Are COVID-19 Deaths Higher Than We Think? - Erik Gunn - Aug 14th, 2020
- School Reopening Guidance - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 14th, 2020
- Milwaukee County Currently Suppressing COVID-19 - Graham Kilmer - Aug 13th, 2020
- Unemployment Claims Below 1 Million Last Week - Graham Kilmer - Aug 13th, 2020
- Transportation: Bus Capacity Increasing to 15 - Graham Kilmer - Aug 13th, 2020
- UWM Professor Studying How To Improve Pandemic Communication - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 13th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Testing Hits Month Low - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 13th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces Launch of COVID-19 Response and Recovery Investment Dashboard - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 13th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here