Menards Accused of Price Gouging
Stores in Wisconsin and Michigan at issue, Michigan AG sends cease-and-disest letter.
Menards was one of 16 companies that were sent cease-and-desist letters after an investigation for illegally raising prices on products during the pandemic, Wisconsin consumer protection officials said Wednesday. The investigation involved hand cleaner products at a West Milwaukee store, Lysol wipes at a Burlington store and Menards online prices for N95 masks.
Last week, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel accused Menards of price gouging in a cease-and-desist letter to the company following an investigation. Her office received 18 complaints about Menards selling face masks, bleach, and other products at excessively high prices. The company has 10 days to respond or face possible legal action.
Menard, who founded and owns the multi-state hardware chain, has been hailed as Wisconsin’s richest resident with an estimated worth of $13.7 billion, according to Forbes Magazine, and has lived a bizarre life, as Urban Milwaukee has reported.
Menard is also a major campaign contributor, doling out $83,750 to Wisconsin legislative and statewide candidates – all Republicans and conservatives – between January 2010 and December 2019.
The top recipients were:
Former Gov. Scott Walker, $32,000
Former Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, $18,000
Former Attorney General Brad Schimel, $15,000
Supreme Court Justice Brian Hagedorn, $2,500
Sen. Kathy Bernier, of Chippewa Falls, $2,200
- DHS Urges COVID-19 Vaccination for a Healthy School Year - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Aug 15th, 2022
- Milwaukee Health Department Begins Administering Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 9th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 5th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Still Rising in Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Jul 29th, 2022
- Public Awareness Campaign Seeks to Boost COVID-19 Vaccinations - PrincessSafiya Byers - Jul 28th, 2022
- Nearly Half of State Has High COVID-19 Level - Erik Gunn - Jul 24th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Level Increasing In Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Jul 22nd, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 22nd, 2022
- MKE County: Milwaukee County Has High Level of COVID-19 - Graham Kilmer - Jul 15th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 15th, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here