Menards Accused of Price Gouging
Stores in Wisconsin and Michigan at issue, Michigan AG sends cease-and-disest letter.
Menards was one of 16 companies that were sent cease-and-desist letters after an investigation for illegally raising prices on products during the pandemic, Wisconsin consumer protection officials said Wednesday. The investigation involved hand cleaner products at a West Milwaukee store, Lysol wipes at a Burlington store and Menards online prices for N95 masks.
Last week, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel accused Menards of price gouging in a cease-and-desist letter to the company following an investigation. Her office received 18 complaints about Menards selling face masks, bleach, and other products at excessively high prices. The company has 10 days to respond or face possible legal action.
Menard, who founded and owns the multi-state hardware chain, has been hailed as Wisconsin’s richest resident with an estimated worth of $13.7 billion, according to Forbes Magazine, and has lived a bizarre life, as Urban Milwaukee has reported.
Menard is also a major campaign contributor, doling out $83,750 to Wisconsin legislative and statewide candidates – all Republicans and conservatives – between January 2010 and December 2019.
The top recipients were:
Former Gov. Scott Walker, $32,000
Former Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, $18,000
Former Attorney General Brad Schimel, $15,000
Supreme Court Justice Brian Hagedorn, $2,500
Sen. Kathy Bernier, of Chippewa Falls, $2,200
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor the More Than 6,300 Wisconsinites and 500,000 Americans Lost to COVID-19 - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 23rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 423 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Supervisor Goodwin Calls on Legislature and Governor Evers to Enact Wisconsin Stimulus Package - Sup. Shawn Rolland - Feb 22nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 403 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 676 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 20th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here