Menards Accused of Price Gouging
Stores in Wisconsin and Michigan at issue, Michigan AG sends cease-and-disest letter.
Menards was one of 16 companies that were sent cease-and-desist letters after an investigation for illegally raising prices on products during the pandemic, Wisconsin consumer protection officials said Wednesday. The investigation involved hand cleaner products at a West Milwaukee store, Lysol wipes at a Burlington store and Menards online prices for N95 masks.
Last week, Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel accused Menards of price gouging in a cease-and-desist letter to the company following an investigation. Her office received 18 complaints about Menards selling face masks, bleach, and other products at excessively high prices. The company has 10 days to respond or face possible legal action.
Menard, who founded and owns the multi-state hardware chain, has been hailed as Wisconsin’s richest resident with an estimated worth of $13.7 billion, according to Forbes Magazine, and has lived a bizarre life, as Urban Milwaukee has reported.
Menard is also a major campaign contributor, doling out $83,750 to Wisconsin legislative and statewide candidates – all Republicans and conservatives – between January 2010 and December 2019.
The top recipients were:
Former Gov. Scott Walker, $32,000
Former Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, $18,000
Former Attorney General Brad Schimel, $15,000
Supreme Court Justice Brian Hagedorn, $2,500
Sen. Kathy Bernier, of Chippewa Falls, $2,200
- WI Daily: Wisconsin Reports Biggest One-Day COVID-19 Case Increase - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Beware of Contact Tracing Scams - Bridgit Bowden - Jul 4th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Spread Keeps Accelerating in Wisconsin - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Moves Backward In Fight Against COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- State Unemployment Insurance System Failing Many - Bram Sable-Smith - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Racial Disparities Found in Safer-At-Home Arrests - Edgar Mendez - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Johnson Discusses Small Business Recovery at Axios Virtual Event - U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson - Jul 3rd, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4 Assessment Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 3rd, 2020
- WI Daily: 14-Day Positive Case Rate Continues Upward Climb - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- City Hall: What Should Or Shouldn’t Be in Milwaukee Mask Mandate? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here