Convention Center Expansion Advances
No new taxes used, with grand opening planned for 2023.
The Board of the Wisconsin Center District that oversees Milwaukee’s Wisconsin Center passed a resolution to jump start the expansion of the convention center. The resolution raises the cap on agreements the board enters into to $1 million.
Wisconsin Center District’s President and CEO, Marty Brooks, said in a press release that the vote, “was critical in keeping the Wisconsin Center expansion project moving forward appropriately.” He continued saying the resolution proves that “the city, county and state are all very much in support of the expansion.”
Previous expansion plans relied on increasing local sales tax, but the Legislature showed little support because they wanted the district to find additional funding. The latest state budget guarantees state funds would cover any debts the Wisconsin Center revenues aren’t able to pay back.
“We are not presently seeking any sales tax increases, any funding from either the city, county, or state,” Brooks said. “We expect to be able to fund the debt for this from our existing revenue streams.”
With the resolution approved, the Wisconsin Center District is moving it’s focus to securing consultants and finding a representative to manage the project. Brooks said they are now moving forward, securing contractors to start the development process.
“These steps are necessary to have all of the information complete so we can secure the bonding that we need to fund the project which we hope to get done late spring of next year.”
The next meeting for the Board of the Wisconsin Center is in October.
The district plans to start expansion construction by 2021 and have the Wisconsin Center’s grand opening in 2023.
Milwaukee’s Wisconsin Center Expansion Advances was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Who Wants To Name the Wisconsin Center? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 1st, 2021
- Plats and Parcels: Riverwest Hostel Becoming Cooperative Housing Facility - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 13th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Wisconsin Center Gives Final Approval for $420 Million Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 9th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Approves Wisconsin Center Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 15th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Convention Center District Authorizes $420 Million Expansion, Raises Hotel Tax - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 2nd, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Wisconsin Center Faces 50% Revenue Cut - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 30th, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: City Could Get Cash From Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 29th, 2020
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Delays Convention Expansion? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 24th, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: Convention Center Expansion Paused - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 22nd, 2020
- Plats and Parcels: 11 Key Details About the Convention Center Expansion - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 8th, 2020
Read more about Wisconsin Center expansion here