Kimberly-Clark Will Consider State Subsidy
Open to state incentives, the company says, now that union has agreed to concessions.
Kimberly-Clark Corp. says it’s open to negotiating state incentives to save at least one of two Wisconsin facilities it plans to close.
The consumer products giant announced its stance on the Cold Spring facility following a new labor agreement ratified Monday night by United Steelworkers.
“With the ratified agreement, the company will advise the State of Wisconsin that it is now in a position to commit to using the incentives if the proposed legislation is passed and an agreement with (the Wisconsin Economic Development Corp.) is reached,” spokeswoman Brook Smith told the Appleton Post-Crescent.
The president of the local union, Dave Breckheimer, said the new agreement provides Kimberly-Clark with concessions aimed at keeping Cold Spring in operation.
A tax break package aimed at keeping the Kimberly-Clark facilities won approval from the state Assembly this year, but not from the state Senate.
Senate President Roger Roth, who represents the Fox Valley district where the facilities are based, said he hopes the Senate will return to the Capitol to approve the package.
He said the incentives are appropriate because they will have benefits for the entire state.
“These kinds of jobs don’t come back in this day and age,” Roth said. “This is important to the foundation of the economy right here in the Fox Valley, but to a larger sense, the paper industry is vital to Wisconsin and that’s why I think it makes sense in this application to offer tax incentives.”
Gov. Scott Walker hailed Kimberly-Clark’s announcement.
“The agreement reached between Kimberly-Clark and the United Steelworkers is outstanding news,” he said in a statement. “We look forward to working with Senate leaders and the company to keep hundreds of good-paying, family-supporting jobs in the Fox Valley.”
Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald’s office said Fitzgerald, “plans to speak next week with his caucus members, Minority Leader (Jennifer) Shilling and Governor Walker to determine the most appropriate and realistic path forward for the Senate.”
Kimberly-Clark Says It’s Open To Talks On State Incentives Package was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
More about the Kimberly-Clark Plant Closings
- Op Ed: Growing Wealth Gap Hurts Wage Earners - Tamarine Cornelius - Jan 20th, 2019
- This Isn’t an Economic Development Strategy, This is an Extortion. - State Sen. Chris Larson - Dec 14th, 2018
- Kimberly-Clark to Keep Cold Spring Facility Open in Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker - Dec 13th, 2018
- Governor-elect Tony Evers Statement on Kimberly-Clark Announcement - Gov. Tony Evers - Dec 13th, 2018
- Kimberly-Clark Subsidy Stalled in Senate - Laurel White - Nov 28th, 2018
- Kimberly-Clark, Unions, Push for Subsidy - Laurel White - Nov 15th, 2018
- AFP-Wisconsin to Legislators: Reject Corporate Welfare - AFP Wisconsin - Nov 14th, 2018
- MacIver Institute Reminds Wisconsin Why Kimberly-Clark Bailout Is a Bad Idea - MacIver Institute - Nov 14th, 2018
- GOP Pushes Tax Giveaway Plan That Pays More for Fewer Jobs - One Wisconsin Now - Nov 14th, 2018
- Republican Opposition to Kimberly-Clark Bill Intensifies - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Oct 4th, 2018
- Senator Craig Statement on Kimberly–Clark Legislation - State Sen. David Craig - Oct 3rd, 2018
- Scott Walker, GOP Seek Lame Duck Session to Send $100 Million to Corporation That’s Had $1 in Net State Tax Since 2013 - One Wisconsin Now - Oct 2nd, 2018
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on Kimberly-Clark - Gov. Scott Walker - Oct 2nd, 2018
- Desperate Walker Wants to Hand Out More Election Year Corporate Welfare - One Wisconsin Now - Oct 1st, 2018
- The State of Politics: Kimberly-Clark Won’t Get Tax Break - Steven Walters - Sep 17th, 2018
- One Wisconsin Now Statements on Scott Walker Latest Corporate Welfare Scheme - One Wisconsin Now - Sep 14th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: WMC Pushes For Kimberly-Clark Subsidy - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Sep 13th, 2018
- Kimberly-Clark Employees Remind Us Why Bailout Is A Bad Idea - MacIver Institute - Aug 30th, 2018
- Wisconsin Budget: Walker Rewards Kimberly-Clark For Layoffs? - Jon Peacock - Aug 2nd, 2018
- Op Ed: Say No to Kimberly-Clark Subsidy - State Sen. Chris Larson - Jul 26th, 2018
- Kimberly-Clark Will Consider State Subsidy - Brady Carlson - Jul 25th, 2018
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on Kimberly-Clark, United Steelworkers Agreement - Gov. Scott Walker - Jul 24th, 2018
- Governor Walker, State Officials Push to Keep Kimberly-Clark Jobs in the Fox Valley - Gov. Scott Walker - Feb 15th, 2018
- Wisconsin Budget: The Lesson of Kimberly-Clark Layoffs - Jon Peacock - Feb 12th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Kimberly-Clark Donated to Walker, Legislators - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Feb 7th, 2018
- Governor Walker Calls for Increasing Tax Incentives for Kimberly-Clark - Gov. Scott Walker - Feb 5th, 2018