Bucks Live Block Eliminates Performance Space
Revisions also aim to improve urban feel of area.
The Milwaukee Bucks are modifying their plans for the “Live Block” entertainment center associated with the new arena. The three-building complex is intended to facilitate a connection between the arena, new plaza and nearby Old World Third Street entertainment district. The complex is planned to include a number of commercial spaces for bars and restaurants oriented around a series of pedestrian pathways and the large plaza.
The revised proposal came before the Common Council’s Zoning, Neighborhoods & Development Committee Tuesday morning.
The biggest change presented by the team’s project architect, Rinka Chung Architecture, is a reduction in the height and size of the northern most building in the complex. The Bucks reduced its size after meeting with a number of prospective tenants. Team vice president Alex Lasry said that the team hopes to announce tenants after the new year. “Things just start to slow down as we get closer to the holiday,” Lasry told the committee.
Lasry did clarify that the building’s downsizing won’t reduce the number of tenants in the building. “We are not lowering the amount of floors in the building because of potential tenant interest. We actually had very robust interest in this building and are close to being able to sign a lease for it.”
Lasry and architect Matt Rinka tell Urban Milwaukee that the new design has also eliminated a performance space on the third and fourth floors. The potential tenants they’re engaging don’t require such a space. The change reduces the building in size from 53,950 square feet to 26,126 square feet. But with that change, the design of the building has been modified to maintain the height as much as possible, reducing the height by only 10 feet. “We want to keep that kind of urban feel and keep that height,” Lasry said.
The changes drew the support of the committee. Alderman Nik Kovac said “I think it’s better.” Kovac asked about the changes in the design, which moves a large glassy atrium, rendered with brew kettles, from facing west to facing north along W. Juneau Ave. This change expands the plaza and makes it more inviting for visitors from the north.
Rinka Chung project director Audry Grill told the committee “We feel that it’s just better urban design principles in terms of the clarity of the entries and the flow around the elements.” She noted the revised plan now includes more outdoor balcony space overlooking the plaza. The relocation of the space envisioned for kettles also expands on the permeability of the buildings, enhancing the indoor-outdoor connection between the plaza and buildings.
Committee chair Jim Bohl said “I actually think that in some ways this was a blessing in disguise.” Bohl praised the move to add more green space to the plaza and encouraged more of it.
At the City Plan Commission hearing on the matter, team consultant Blair Williams told the commissioners “We think it’s a very symbiotic process between the buildings and the plaza.” He said the team intends to have “substantial” programming on the plaza, which along with the tenants in the Live Block will drive interest to the space outside of when the arena is being used.
A farmers market is among many possible uses for the space, with Williams noting they’re exploring all the requirements to accommodate one, including power outlets and mounting infrastructure.
The committee unanimously approved the changes. The proposed change must next go before the entire Common Council.
These changes come after the team recently secured approval for a connector piece to link the entertainment complex with N. Old World Third St. The team owns lots on both sides of Ugly’s Pub on 1125 N. Old World Third St., and has plans to turn the northernmost lot into a beer garden and public alley. Plans have yet to be released for the southern lot.
Site preparation work for the complex is underway. The team intends to open the Live Block in early 2019. The team had originally planned to open the complex alongside the new arena in the summer of 2018.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
More about the New Bucks Arena
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena Getting Custom-Painted Fire Hydrants - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 6th, 2018
- Wisconsin Entertainment and Sports Center to Launch Sustainability Program - Wisconsin Entertainment and Sports Center - Jun 5th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Still Won’t Play in Fiserv Arena - Jeramey Jannene - May 31st, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Good City Brewing Tapped for Bucks’ Live Block - Jeramey Jannene - May 31st, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Is Bucks Live Block Good Urbanism? - Jeramey Jannene - May 22nd, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena 95% Complete; See Inside - Jeramey Jannene - May 18th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Unveil Old World Third St. Bar - Jeramey Jannene - May 8th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Won’t Play in Fiserv Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 27th, 2018
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Live Block Eliminates Performance Space - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 12th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: City Panel Okays Live Block Shrinkage - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 4th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks’ Live Block Connector Approved - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 21st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena 68% Complete - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 21st, 2017
- Bucks’ Health Clinic Will Soon Open - Graham Kilmer - Nov 9th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Unveil Arena Parking Garage - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 31st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena On Budget, On Schedule - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 5th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Live Block Work Starts in Deer District - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Top Off New Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 24th, 2017
- Photo Gallery: Touring The New Bucks Arena - Graham Kilmer - Aug 1st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Inside New Bucks Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 6th, 2017
- Friday Photos: The Deer District Rises - Jeramey Jannene - May 12th, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Approves Arena, Hammes Design Changes - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 1st, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Committee Okays Two Downtown Designs - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 22nd, 2017
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Unveil New Signs for Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 14th, 2017
- Friday Photos: Arena Rises from Frozen Tundra - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 16th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Live Block is a Slam Dunk - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 5th, 2016
- Friday Photos: New Bucks Arena From Above - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 7th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Council Okays Streetcar to Bucks Arena - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 6th, 2016
- Friday Photos: Bucks Arena Work Prep - Jeramey Jannene - May 27th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena Design Approved - Jeramey Jannene - May 17th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: How Urban is Bucks New Arena? - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 18th, 2016
- Eyes on Milwaukee: New Bucks Arena Approved - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: Is Abele Dumping the Marcus Center? - Bruce Murphy - Jul 28th, 2015
- Eyes on Milwaukee: Bucks Arena Winners and Losers - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 17th, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: How Abele Bailed Out Walker - Bruce Murphy - Jun 11th, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: Abele Plan for Bucks Arena Won’t Work - Bruce Murphy - Jun 4th, 2015
- Back in the News: Bucks Bailout Gets Even Bigger - Bruce Murphy - Jun 1st, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: Arena Plan is Massive Tax Shift to Milwaukee - Bruce Murphy - May 29th, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: MMAC Plays Hardball on Bucks Arena - Bruce Murphy - May 5th, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: State Bucks Arena Plan Fleeces Milwaukee - Bruce Murphy - Apr 23rd, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: The Secret Tax Subsidy Society - Bruce Murphy - Apr 14th, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: Should City/County Donate More to NBA Arena? - Bruce Murphy - Mar 24th, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: Bucks Owners Must Build Without Subsidy - Bruce Murphy - Mar 10th, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: How Could Walker Refuse Incredible Deal? - Bruce Murphy - Feb 12th, 2015
- Murphy’s Law: Foundation Helps Herb Kohl Get $20 Million Windfall - Bruce Murphy - Dec 18th, 2014
- Murphy’s Law: How Will NBA Arena Benefit the City? - Bruce Murphy - Dec 2nd, 2014
- Murphy’s Law: Dispute Over Bucks Arena Goes National - Bruce Murphy - Oct 23rd, 2014
- Murphy’s Law: 10 Reasons To Build Bucks Arena on Wisconsin Ave. - Bruce Murphy - Oct 8th, 2014
- Murphy’s Law: How UWM Deal Will Affect the Bucks - Bruce Murphy - Jul 3rd, 2014
- Murphy’s Law: Four Plans to Save the Bucks - Bruce Murphy - May 15th, 2014
- Murphy’s Law: 10 Key Issues in NBA Arena Debate - Bruce Murphy - Apr 24th, 2014
- Murphy’s Law: $1 Billion Needed for Milwaukee Facilities - Bruce Murphy - Dec 12th, 2013
- Murphy’s Law: New Moves to Bail Out the Bucks - Bruce Murphy - Oct 15th, 2013