Courthouse Square Fountain, Late 1880s
Created by Casper Hennecke, it became the subject of a popular Milwaukee postcard.
When the new Milwaukee Courthouse was completed in 1873 this grand new building called for improvements to the public square. By 1877 the improvements would be in place with an ornamental fountain as its centerpiece. This is a view of the fountain taken about a decade later by noted photographer H. H. Bennett, who did many classic photos of Milwaukee from this era.
Hennecke built another similar, but smaller fountain installed one year later at the Soldiers Home. The two have sometimes been confused.
Unfortunately after the demolition of this courthouse in the late 1930s, this fountain would languish and ultimately be removed. Its fate remains a mystery.
Jeff Beutner is a collector of photographs, postcards and stereoviews of old Milwaukee. This column features these images, with historical commentary by Beutner.