MANDI Awards Announce Sweet 16 Nominees
Finalists for 2014 Milwaukee Awards for Neighborhood Development Innovation include Three Bridges Park and 15 others.
Finalists for the 2014 Milwaukee Awards for Neighborhood Development Innovation, known as the “MANDIs,” were announced Wednesday evening to a crowded room of nominees, community leaders and corporate sponsors.
Sponsored by U.S. Bank, in partnership with LISC Milwaukee, the awards recognize individuals, organizations and corporations that are working to improve conditions in Milwaukee’s central city neighborhoods.
Finalists were selected by an independent, cross-sector volunteer committee, based on public nominations. Winners will be announced at a gala on Wednesday, April 9, at the Pfister Hotel.
Finalists are listed below.
The “Brewers Community Foundation Public Space Award” (for a public space that helps build the community):
The “BMO Harris Cornerstone Award” (for an organization demonstrating commitment and effectiveness over time):
- Havenwoods Economic Development Corporation
- Martin Luther King Economic Development Corporation
- Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity
- United Methodist Children’s Services of Wisconsin
The “Northern Trust Navigator Award” (for an individual demonstrating leadership and collaboration):
- Charles Brown, Journey House
- Jan Christenson, YMCA of Metro Milwaukee
- Howard Snyder, Northwest Side Community Development Corp.
The “PNC Bank Trail Blazer Award” (for an innovative approach to a community problem):
- 16th Street Community Health Center’s Kinnickinnic River Corridor Initiative
- Independence First Mobility Store
- Just One More Ministry
The “State Farm Building Blocks Award” (for a real estate project that improves the community):
- King Drive Commons IV, Martin Luther King Economic Development Corporation in partnership with Impact 7
- Rent to Own Homes, Layton Boulevard West Neighbors in partnership with Impact 7
- Westlawn Gardens, Housing Authority of the City of Milwaukee
The board of LISC also announced that the “Vision Award” will be presented to Northwestern Mutual, in recognition of Northwestern Mutual Foundation’s strong philanthropic focus on neighborhood investment, and for choosing downtown Milwaukee for its corporate headquarters.
Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service is a media sponsor of the 2014 MANDIs.
This story was originally published by Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service, where you can find other stories reporting on fifteen city neighborhoods in Milwaukee.