Dave Reid

East Side Apartment Building to be Built Within Existing Zoning

By - May 12th, 2008 07:02 am
Get a daily rundown of the top stories on Urban Milwaukee

Wangard Properties LLC is in the process of demolishing a vacant nursing home at 1824 E. Park Pl. and plans to build a 61-unit four-story apartment building in its place. Although this development seems fairly minor in comparison to many larger projects it is a great example of building by right. This is a case where the developer recognized that the East Side has seen its share of battles between developers and homeowners. For example in recent years homeowner’s have fought against the re-development of Downer Avenue, the Park Lafayette project, UWM RiverView Hall and the Hillel Student Center arguing “it’s too dense, too tall, it will impact parking, and it doesn’t fit the neighborhood”. The net result of these arguments have been, reduced tax base, less residents to support local business and slowed development. How this project fits into this discussion is that by legal right Wangard Properties LLC can build to their intended height and density according to their existing zoning and stay outside of the public planning process. Although this may concern some, it is important to note that this is the intention of zoning regulation and it is good to see smart developers continuing to develop projects despite the growing difficulties presented by this ever present NIMBY attitude on the East Side.

Categories: Real Estate

One thought on “East Side Apartment Building to be Built Within Existing Zoning”

Leave a Reply

You must be an Urban Milwaukee member to leave a comment. Membership, which includes a host of perks, including an ad-free website, tickets to marquee events like Summerfest, the Wisconsin State Fair and the Florentine Opera, a better photo browser and access to members-only, behind-the-scenes tours, starts at $9/month. Learn more.

Join now and cancel anytime.

If you are an existing member, sign-in to leave a comment.

Have questions? Need to report an error? Contact Us