Marquette’s response to the civil rights movement topic of panel discussion
Event concludes formal Presidential Inauguration events for Michael R. Lovell
MILWAUKEE – Five panelists, each of whom played a distinct role in the promotion of social justice by supporting the civil rights movement in the 1960s, will tell the story of Marquette’s response to the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., in the spring of 1968, the founding of Marquette’s Educational Opportunity Program in 1969 and how the university helped take the program nationwide by creating the Council for Opportunity in Education in 1981.
The event will be Monday, Oct. 27, at 4 p.m. in the Weasler Auditorium, 1506 W. Wisconsin Ave. Free and open to the public, it is a ticketed event. Tickets can be reserved by calling University Special Events at (414) 288-7431.
Mike Gousha, award-winning journalist and distinguished fellow in law and public policy, will lead the discussion with the five panelists:
- T. Michael Bolger, president emeritus of the Medical College of Wisconsin and 1960s civil rights activist
- Dr. Arnold Mitchem, member of the Marquette University Board of Trustees, founding director of the Educational Opportunity Program at Marquette University and retired president of the Council for Opportunity in Education
- Dr. Theresa Perry, professor of education at Simmons College and former senior counselor in the Educational Opportunity Program at Marquette University
- Maureen Hoyler, president of the Council for Opportunity in Education, former senior staff member of the Educational Opportunity Program at Marquette University
- Dr. Hal D. Payne, vice president for student affairs, Buffalo State SUNY, and former chair of the board of the Council for Opportunity in Education
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Marquette University
Dr. Jier Huang has set out to develop new strategies for tapping the promise of solar energy.
The award grants up to $32,000 for a one-semester sabbatical.
One award of up to $20,000 is given to the selected project team for one fiscal year.