Way To Go, County Board!
For too long, workers and community members have been shut out of the MCTS leadership.
ATU 998 congratulates the transit committee of the Milwaukee County Board for unanimously approving a proposal “requesting the Board of Directors of Milwaukee Transit Services, Inc. (MTS) modify its membership to promote better accountability and oversight of the Milwaukee County Transit System.”
The full County Board will consider the proposal at its July 25 meeting.
For too long, workers and community members have been shut out of the MCTS leadership. This proposal could play a major role in opening the doors of governance of MCTS to employees and the bus-riding public.
The proposal has the strong support of ATU Local 998 and Amani United, the community organization that succesfully halted MCTS plans to cancel bus service along part of Route 80 in the inner city, service that provides critical transit access for many low-income residents and people of color.
Amani United and ATU Local 998 want to make MCTS more responsive to community needs. We’re fighting proposed cuts in bus service and worker benefits being dictated by County Executive Chris Abele, something the current MCTS Board of Directors has failed to do effectively.
Abele has been hostile to public transit, failing to pursue all available funding to support the service and then claiming that cuts in service and employee benefits are necessary because there isn’t enough money.
We say, enough is enough. Transit is the lifeblood of many Milwaukee County residents, riders, and system employees alike. We deserve a say in critical decisions, and a board dedicated to making transit stronger for everyone.
Much more information is on our website, atu998.org
More about the 2020 MCTS Budget
- Transportation: Bus Union Authorizes a Strike - Graham Kilmer - Sep 6th, 2019
- Transportation: Bus Union Threatens Strike By Friday - Graham Kilmer - Sep 5th, 2019
- Transportation: Bus Union’s Budget Claims Disputed - Graham Kilmer - Sep 4th, 2019
- Abele Urges Bus Drivers to Settle Contract - Corri Hess - Aug 30th, 2019
- An Open Letter From County Executive Chris Abele to ATU Leadership - County Executive Chris Abele - Aug 29th, 2019
- ATU Local 998 Challenges MCTS 2020 ‘Budget Hole’ Projection - Amalgamated Transit Union Local 998 - Aug 29th, 2019
- Way To Go, County Board! - Amalgamated Transit Union Local 998 - Jul 11th, 2019
- MKE County: Abele’s Power Over County Transit Targeted - Graham Kilmer - Jul 11th, 2019
- Transportation: Group Pushes Higher Wheel Tax for Transit - Ana Martinez-Ortiz - May 23rd, 2019
- MKE County: Transit System Plans 10% Service Cut - Graham Kilmer - May 8th, 2019
- MKE County: Bus Drivers Union Assails MCTS Leaders - Graham Kilmer - Apr 15th, 2019
- MKE County: Bus Drivers’ Union Fights New Contract - Graham Kilmer - Mar 7th, 2019
Recent Press Releases by Amalgamated Transit Union Local 998
Preliminary investigation points to millions of over projected MCTS operating expenses since 2015
The private agreement ensures that workers running the streetcar system will be able to join the transit union.