ATU Local 998 Challenges MCTS 2020 ‘Budget Hole’ Projection
Preliminary investigation points to millions of over projected MCTS operating expenses since 2015
MILWAUKEE – The Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 998 is demanding answers after a preliminary investigation by economic consultant Peter Donohue found that the County’s 2018 Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs) showed Milwaukee County Transit System’s actual operating expenses were under budget by $16.53 million from mostly over budgeting MCTS personnel expenses. A look at previous CAFRs since 2015 show that $39.93 million budgeted for MCTS personnel expenses have gone unspent, but the investigation won’t be complete until the County provides financial information requested.
ATU Local 998 President James Macon released the following statement regarding these findings:
“Based on these preliminary findings, we challenge Milwaukee County Transit System’s ‘budget hole’ narrative. We believe County Executive Chris Abele and MCTS are once again over budgeting their expenses in an attempt to justify cutting vital bus routes and hurting transit workers.
“This changes everything for our members. It raises serious questions about the integrity of MCTS’s claims that they are broke. We call on Milwaukee County to stop dragging its feet and provide the financial information requested.”
ATU Local 998 members have scheduled contract and work action authorization votes on September 5, 2019.
Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 998, established in 1934, represents over 1,100 active members in Milwaukee, Waukesha, Kenosha and Sheboygan. Our members are the bus drivers, mechanics, station attendants, and other support personnel who make safe, efficient, and affordable public transportation possible. Learn more at ATU998.org.
- Transportation: Bus Union Authorizes a Strike - Graham Kilmer - Sep 6th, 2019
- Transportation: Bus Union Threatens Strike By Friday - Graham Kilmer - Sep 5th, 2019
- Transportation: Bus Union’s Budget Claims Disputed - Graham Kilmer - Sep 4th, 2019
- Abele Urges Bus Drivers to Settle Contract - Corri Hess - Aug 30th, 2019
- An Open Letter From County Executive Chris Abele to ATU Leadership - County Executive Chris Abele - Aug 29th, 2019
- ATU Local 998 Challenges MCTS 2020 ‘Budget Hole’ Projection - Amalgamated Transit Union Local 998 - Aug 29th, 2019
- Way To Go, County Board! - Amalgamated Transit Union Local 998 - Jul 11th, 2019
- MKE County: Abele’s Power Over County Transit Targeted - Graham Kilmer - Jul 11th, 2019
- Transportation: Group Pushes Higher Wheel Tax for Transit - Ana Martinez-Ortiz - May 23rd, 2019
- MKE County: Transit System Plans 10% Service Cut - Graham Kilmer - May 8th, 2019
Read more about 2020 MCTS Budget here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Amalgamated Transit Union Local 998
The private agreement ensures that workers running the streetcar system will be able to join the transit union.
ATU Local 998 president James Macon released this statement.