Vukmir, Nygren Lead Efforts to Combat the Opioid Epidemic
"It is critical that our communities have the tools necessary to combat the rising problems that stem from heroin abuse."
MADISON, Wis. – State Sen. Leah Vukmir, R–Brookfield and state Rep. John Nygren, R–Marinette, released legislation Friday that would give law enforcement more tools to address the heroin and opioid epidemic facing Wisconsin.
“As a member of Governor Walker’s Task Force on Opioid Abuse, I am pleased to join my colleagues as we unveil legislation that builds on the Legislature’s efforts to combat opioid abuse in Wisconsin,” said Vukmir who has more than 20 years’ experience as a nurse practitioner. “It is critical that our communities have the tools necessary to combat the rising problems that stem from heroin abuse.”
The legislation focuses on providing law enforcement training grants targeted at preventing drug flow into Wisconsin, offers funding for programming to prevent substance abuse, and gives grants to counties for medical-assisted treatment. This legislation will strengthen our law enforcement efforts and save lives.
Additionally, the bill creates regional drug prosecutors to assist local District Attorney’s prosecuting drug crimes.
More about the Opioid Crisis
- Governor Walker Discusses the Opioid Epidemic at Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs Conference - Gov. Scott Walker - Feb 5th, 2018
- Vukmir, Nygren Lead Efforts to Combat the Opioid Epidemic - State Sen. Leah Vukmir - Jan 19th, 2018
- Governor Walker Takes Additional Action to Fight Opioid Crisis - Gov. Scott Walker - Jan 19th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump To Renew The Opioid Public Health Emergency - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jan 12th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump to Sign Bipartisan Legislation Passed by Congress to Help Halt Flow of Illicit Fentanyl into the United States - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 22nd, 2017
- Drug-Related Deaths To Hit 420 in 2017 - Edgar Mendez - Dec 21st, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Joins Bipartisan Group of Senators Urging Congressional Leadership to Commit Resources to Opioid Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 15th, 2017
- Murphy’s Law: Brad Schimel’s Opioid Problem - Bruce Murphy - Nov 14th, 2017
- Op Ed: State Leaves Counties to Sue Drug Companies - State Senators Janet Bewley and Dave Hansen - Nov 11th, 2017
- Special Report: Opioid Crisis Hits City Hard - Edgar Mendez - Nov 9th, 2017
- Opioid Crisis Still Growing - Dave Fidlin - Oct 30th, 2017
- Op Ed: Nygren, Sidener Dramatize Opioid Problem - Casey Hoff - Oct 18th, 2017
- Op Ed: The Heroin and Opioid Crisis Is Real - Isiah Holmes - Aug 28th, 2017
- The State of Politics: John Nygren’s War on Drug Abuse - Steven Walters - Jul 10th, 2017
- Op Ed: Opioid Crisis Demands Bipartisan Solutions - Jeff Plale - Feb 24th, 2017
- Prescription Drugs Lead Way to Heroin - Wyatt Massey - Mar 17th, 2016
- Heroin Deaths Up 241% Since 2010 - Wyatt Massey - Mar 16th, 2016
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Leah Vukmir
“Over the years, it’s been a pleasure to work with these strong grassroots conservatives to build the Republican Party in Wisconsin,” Leah said.
"Wisconsin families, and especially our seniors, are paying enormous costs for prescription medications."