U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Urges Trump Administration to Invest in Dairy Innovation with Trade Aid
"We need to do better for Wisconsin farmers who have been caught in the middle of this trade war"
WASHINGTON, D.C. – As Wisconsin farmers continue to face enormous challenges from retaliatory tariffs caused by the trade wars, U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin is urging the Trump administration to prioritize investments in dairy innovation and market development so farmers and dairy businesses can build brighter futures.
In a letter to U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Secretary Sonny Perdue, Senator Baldwin asks the administration to direct at least $60 million in trade aid to USDA’s Dairy Business Innovation Initiatives, which were created by Baldwin in the 2018 Farm Bill with the support of a wide range of dairy stakeholders and bipartisan lawmakers.
She continues,“Wisconsin—America’s Dairyland—has lost over 1,600 dairy farms in the last two years, and forward-looking strategies to increase the value and utilization of milk cannot come fast enough. We know it’s going to take a range of steps to help dairy farmers get back on their feet—and we’ve made progress together in getting the Dairy Margin Coverage program signed into law and then made available to farmers, as well as refunding premiums that dairy farmers paid into the old dairy Margin Protection Program when it wasn’t working as promised.
Baldwin concludes,“Despite the challenges facing the dairy industry right now, including the loss of many of our family farms and the strong headwinds the industry faces from trade wars and low prices, I know that the men and women who lead dairy farms and dairy organizations are second to none in their expertise, tenacity, and commitment to improving their industry. Quite simply, there could not be a finer group of people to lead dairy through this difficult time. I urge you to prioritize investing in these rural leaders with trade aid funding of at least $60 million to promote dairy market development.”
Wisconsin farmers have been hit hard by Trump trade wars with China, Mexico, Canada and the European Union. More than 1,600 dairy farms in Wisconsin have gone out of business since Trump took office.
Many dairy stakeholders have expressed strong support for the Dairy Business Innovation Initiatives, including the National Milk Producers Federation, the International Dairy Foods Association, the Midwest Dairy Coalition, the Wisconsin Farm Bureau, the Wisconsin Farmers Union, the Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association, the Dairy Business Association, and Edge Dairy Cooperative.
The full letter is available here.
An online version of this release is available here.
More about the Trump Tariffs
- Baldwin Calling on Trump Administration to Take Action and Support Wisconsin Hardwood Businesses Hurt by Trade War - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Feb 25th, 2020
- Trade War Wounds May Heal Soon - Erik Gunn - Feb 21st, 2020
- How China Trade Agreement Impacts Wisconsin Farmers - Miranda Suarez - Jan 16th, 2020
- Trump Tariffs Have Cost State $800 Million - Miranda Suarez - Dec 10th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Seeks Investigation into Possible Market Manipulation Regarding Market Bets Timed to Trump’s Comments on Trade War & Other Geopolitical Events - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Oct 21st, 2019
- Port Milwaukee Shipping Up in 2019 - Danielle Kaeding - Oct 21st, 2019
- Stuck to Gallagher: Does Your Party Care About Small Business? - State Rep. Amanda Stuck - Oct 10th, 2019
- Evers Blasts Trump “Tweet” Trade Wars - Erik Gunn - Sep 16th, 2019
- Donald Trump’s Administration Laughs in the Face of Struggling Farmers - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 13th, 2019
- Gov. Evers Calls on President Trump to Listen to Farmers, End Unproductive Trade Wars - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 12th, 2019
- Harley 2nd Quarter Earnings Down 19% - Brady Carlson - Jul 24th, 2019
- State’s Exports Down in 2019 - Hope Kirwan - Jul 23rd, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Urges Trump Administration to Invest in Dairy Innovation with Trade Aid - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jul 19th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump to Stop Making False Claims About Agriculture Purchases from Mexico and China, and Start Telling Wisconsin Farmers the Truth - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jul 12th, 2019
- Data Wonk: Democrats Now The Free Trade Party? - Bruce Thompson - Jun 26th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Trump Tariffs Killing Wisconsin - Bruce Murphy - Jun 4th, 2019
- Senator Baldwin Demands Answers from Trump About $62 Million Going to Brazilian Crooks Instead of American Farmers - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - May 23rd, 2019
- Data Wonk: How Walker, Trump Hurt Dairy Industry - Bruce Thompson - Mar 13th, 2019
- Ron Johnson Calls for Ending Tariffs - Hope Kirwan - Feb 8th, 2019
- Harley-Davidson Earnings Down - Patty Murray - Jan 31st, 2019
- Tariffs Affecting Great Lakes Ports - Danielle Kaeding - Jan 5th, 2019
- Trump Tariffs Hurt Milwaukee Port - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 4th, 2018
- Harley Riders Oppose Boycott of Company - Laurel White - Sep 3rd, 2018
- Answer the Question, Scott Walker - One Wisconsin Now - Aug 13th, 2018
- Trump’s Aid to Farms Gets Mixed Reviews - Rich Kremer - Jul 26th, 2018
- Voters Unhappy About Tariffs, State Roads - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 19th, 2018
- Businesses Complain About Trump Tariffs to Johnson - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 17th, 2018
- Canada’s Tariffs Target Wisconsin - Scott Gordon - Jul 16th, 2018
- Data Wonk: How Trump Threatens State’s Exports - Bruce Thompson - Jul 5th, 2018
- Walker Avoids Harley Issue at Parades - Chuck Quirmbach - Jul 5th, 2018
- Campaign Cash: Harley Gave Generously to Republicans - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jun 26th, 2018
- Harley-Davidson Job Losses: Walker Owns This - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jun 26th, 2018
- Scott Walker Flies While Harley Davidson Flees - One Wisconsin Now - Jun 26th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Dead Wrong on Canadian Trade - John Torinus - Jun 21st, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump’s Tariffs Hurt Wisconsin Economy - John Torinus - Jun 11th, 2018
- Trump Tariffs Threaten State’s Exports - Steven Deller, Tessa Conroy and Matthew Kures - May 13th, 2018
- Op Ed: Trump Tariffs Will Harm Trump Country - John Torinus - Mar 14th, 2018
- Statement Regarding Governor Walker’s Phone Call with U.S. Department of Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 9th, 2018
- Op Ed: Ryan Finally Stands Up to Trump - Gregory Humphrey - Mar 8th, 2018
- Governor Walker Visits Wisconsin Employers in Oshkosh, Janesville that Have Expressed Concern with President Trump’s Proposed Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 6th, 2018
- Governor Walker Releases Statement on the Trump Administration’s Proposed Steel and Aluminum Tariffs - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 2nd, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Leads Dairy State Senators in Urging Agriculture Secretary Perdue to Take Immediate Action for Dairy Farms Harmed by Canadian Trade Barriers - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Apr 27th, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump to Hold China Accountable on Trade During Upcoming Summit - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Apr 5th, 2017
- Norquist: Trump Tariffs Will Hurt State Workers - John Norquist - Feb 2nd, 2017
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Senator Baldwin and Representatives Kind, Moore and Pocan Call on President Trump to Extend Federal Funding for Wisconsin National Guard in Fight Against COVID-19 PandemicMay 21st, 2020 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
"An extension of this funding is critical to ensuring the safety and health of our citizens, as well as advancing efforts to reopen our state."
Bipartisan, bicameral legislation provides America’s agriculture economy and food supply chain with the tools needed to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic