U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Helps Introduce Background Check Expansion Act To Reduce Gun Violence
"This legislation is a commonsense solution to prevent the easy access of weapons for those that shouldn't have them."
WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin joined 40 of her Senate colleagues, led by Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT), in reintroducing the Background Check Expansion Act to expand federal background checks to all gun sales. Under current federal law, unlicensed or private sellers are not required to conduct a background check prior to transferring a firearm. 97% of Americans support comprehensive background checks. Research indicates that as many as a quarter of all gun sales in the United States may occur without a background check.
“If all Washington does is agree to disagree, then we have failed to provide the leadership people are demanding to reduce gun violence,” said Senator Baldwin. “This legislation is a commonsense solution to prevent the easy access of weapons for those that shouldn’t have them. We have a moral responsibility in Congress to step up, work together and address gun violence like the public health crisis that it is so we can start saving lives.”
The Background Check Expansion Act will require background checks for the sale or transfer of all firearms. This requirement extends to all unlicensed sellers, whether they do business online, at gun shows or out of their home. Exceptions to the Background Check Expansion Act include transfers between law enforcement officers, temporarily loaning firearms for hunting and sporting events, providing firearms as gifts to immediate family members, transferring a firearm as part of an inheritance, or temporarily transferring a firearm for immediate self-defense.
In addition to Baldwin and Murphy, U.S. Senators Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Patty Murray (D-WA), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Jack Reed (D-RI), Tom Carper (D-DE), Ben Cardin (D-MD), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Bob Casey (D-PA), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Tom Udall (D-NM), Michael Bennet (D-CO), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Mazie Hirono (D-HI), Martin Heinrich (D-NM), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Ed Markey (D-MA), Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Maggie Hassan (D-NH), Kamala Harris (D-CA), Chris Coons (D-DE), Tina Smith (D-MN), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Bob Menendez (D-NJ), Mark Warner (D-VA), Maria Cantwell (D-WA), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Brian Schatz (D-HI), Cory Booker (D-NJ), Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Tim Kaine (D-VA), Gary Peters (D-MI), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), and Jeff Merkley (D-OR) cosponsored the bill.
Full text of the bill is here.
- Club Midtown isn’t a thing - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - May 5th, 2021
- County Executive David Crowley Statement on Recent Acts of Gun Violence - County Executive David Crowley - May 4th, 2021
- Republicans Continue to Show their True Colors with Upcoming Budget Plans: The Time for Action is Now - State Sen. Melissa Agard - May 3rd, 2021
- Continued gun violence underscores the need for change - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - May 3rd, 2021
- Senator Agard: Statement on Shooting Tragedy at the Oneida Casino Complex - State Sen. Melissa Agard - May 2nd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement Regarding Shooting at Oneida Casino Complex - Gov. Tony Evers - May 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Mass Shootings Are Not Inevitable - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Apr 30th, 2021
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Knoxville, TN - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Apr 12th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Applauds Biden-Harris Administration for Executive Action to Curb Gun Violence in Our Communities - State Rep. David Bowen - Apr 8th, 2021
- Senator Agard Applauds President Biden Taking Steps to Address Gun Violence - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 8th, 2021
Read more about Gun Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
Baldwin, Levin, Murray, Scott Reintroduce Legislation to Provide Two Free Years of Community CollegeApr 27th, 2021 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
The America's College Promise Act creates federal-state partnerships to provide two years of tuition-free access to community or technical college programs that lead to a degree or industry-recognized credential.
Bipartisan, bicameral DAIRY PRIDE Act fights back against non-dairy products that are mislabeled as milk, yogurt and cheese
U.S. Senators Tammy Baldwin and Marco Rubio Introduce Bipartisan Infrastructure Legislation to Make Sure it is Built to LastApr 21st, 2021 by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin
The Built to Last Act helps ensure infrastructure can better withstand extreme weather damage