The time for action on gun violence is now
Democrats call on Senator Fitzgerald to increase public safety
MADISON, WI – After Senate Republicans blocked a vote on a Democratic proposal that would give schools a revenue limit exemption to create and implement school safety plans, Democrats are calling for action. Senate Democrats are urging Senate Majority Leader Fitzgerald to step up and take action to increase public safety concerns.
“Wisconsin families should have the opportunity to feel safe in community spaces like schools, parks, places of worship, workplaces, and health centers free from the threat of deadly weapons and dangerous individuals,” said Senate Democratic Leader Jennifer Shilling (D-La Crosse). “It is wrong that powerful gun lobbyists are able to override local families and write rules that threaten Wisconsin communities. While the overwhelming majority of gun owners are consistently responsible with their firearms, Wisconsin can, and must, do more to reduce gun violence and keep our communities, schools, and children safe.”
Despite the overwhelming amount of public support, Republicans continue to block legislation for universal background checks. Additional commonsense solutions proposed by Democrats include reinstating the 48 hour waiting period, prohibiting the sale of bump stocks, and prohibiting individuals convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor from possessing a firearm.
- Gun Violence: Where personal agenda and personal responsibility separate - Tom Palzewicz - Jul 9th, 2020
- Nothing Changed After Molson Coors Shooting - Allison Stevens - Mar 6th, 2020
- Op Ed: Losing Sheila’s Smile - Jeff Spitzer-Resnick - Dec 31st, 2019
- Baldwin Helps Secure Federal Funding to Conduct Gun Violence Research For First Time in More Than 20 Years - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 19th, 2019
- How Gerrymandering Stalls Gun Safety - Robin Bravender - Dec 17th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls for Action on Funding Gun Violence Research at CDC - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Evers May Call Second Special Session on Guns - Laurel White - Nov 19th, 2019
- Rep. Anderson Addresses Republican Inaction on Gun Reform - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Nov 8th, 2019
- Rep. Considine Reacts to Legislature’s Inaction During Special Session - State Rep. Dave Considine - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republicans Dismiss Governor’s Special Session - Laurel White - Nov 8th, 2019
Read more about Gun Violence here