The Battle to Sunset the Miller Park Tax is Finally Over
"I am happy to see this is finally happening."
(MADISON)—Today, Senator Tim Carpenter released the following statement about the sunsetting of the Miller Park Tax:
“For more than a decade, I have fought to end the Miller Park five-county sales tax. Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Washington, and Waukesha County taxpayers were promised this tax would sunset in 2014. It’s 5 years later now and the sales tax still hasn’t ended. The citizens of those five counties have paid for the construction and ongoing maintenance of Miller Park.
“After the release of a revealing state audit of the Miller Park District’s performance in 2002, it became clear the sales tax was not going to end in 2014. Because of this, I began authoring amendments and bills to require the end of the sales tax by 2014. I even voted against the Senate confirmation of appointees to the Miller Park Board, which operates and oversees Miller Park, to show my displeasure that the five-county tax was not going to end as promised.
“I am happy to see this is finally happening. Taxpayers are tired of politicians creating new taxes with the promise they will sunset, they have become cynical that once a tax is created it will never end. I believe the integrity, credibility, and accountability of politicians is damaged when these promises are broken.
“I want to thank Senator Wanggaard for creating a bipartisan bill which will finally pass in the Republican controlled Legislature. The Miller Park Board has now committed to set a firm date of March 10, 2020 to end the sales tax. In the future, I sincerely hope promises made to the taxpayers are promises kept.”
- 5-County Tax Freedom Day - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Mar 10th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: About that Miller Park Economic Impact - Bruce Murphy - Feb 25th, 2020
- AFP-WI Applauds Gov. Evers for Ending Miller Park Perk - AFP Wisconsin - Nov 21st, 2019
- The Battle to Sunset the Miller Park Tax is Finally Over - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Jun 20th, 2019
- Excess from the Miller Park Tax Should Be Returned to the 5 Counties - State Sen. Tim Carpenter - Apr 16th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Taxpayers Make Bucks, Brewers Rich - Bruce Murphy - Apr 16th, 2019
- Rep. Neylon Issues Statement on Stadium Tax Vote - State Rep. Adam Neylon - Mar 13th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: The Wealth Gap and Miller Park’s Deal - Bruce Murphy - Jan 24th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Miller Park Tax Ends in 2020. Not. - Bruce Murphy - Mar 20th, 2018
- Murphy’s Law: The Bogus Studies of Miller Park - Bruce Murphy - May 10th, 2017
Read more about Miller Park Stadium Tax here
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Tim Carpenter
Proposal would exempt the first $10,200 in UC benefits from taxation
Proposal would exempt the first $10,200 in benefits from taxation