Statement from the Milwaukee Health Department
On Monday March 1, 2021, 34 doses of Moderna COVID-19 vaccine expired before they could be used by the Milwaukee Health Department. More syringes had been prepared with vaccine than individuals presented themselves for Moderna vaccination at the Wisconsin Center. This is the first time any vaccine has expired and gone unused by the Health Department.
The situation that led to the error was complicated by the instruction to give only Pfizer vaccine to teachers vaccinated on Monday. Also, a number of teachers scheduled appointments on Monday without identifying themselves as teachers until arriving at the vaccination site.
A total of 1,058 doses of vaccine were administered at the Wisconsin Center Monday, and more than 25,000 doses have been administered by the Milwaukee Health Department since the COVID-19 vaccination efforts began.
This incident is the subject of ongoing review by the Milwaukee Health Department. It is clear at this stage that no intentional or malicious action was involved in the incident. Process changes have already been implemented to prevent a repetition.
- WI Daily: 805 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Announces $50 Million to Support Kids’ Learning Opportunities, Mental Health - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
- Ron Johnson Doubles Down on Toxic Vote Against American Rescue Plan, Tells WI Voters They Didn’t Deserve Direct Checks - Protect Our Care Wisconsin - Apr 20th, 2021
- Governor Evers, DHS Announce More Than $175 Million to Support COVID-19 Testing in Schools - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 20th, 2021
- Senator Johnson Admits “Stand(ing) in the Way of Getting Checks to Everybody” - Opportunity Wisconsin - Apr 20th, 2021
- Robin Vos Must Stop Spreading Vaccine Doubts Online - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Apr 19th, 2021
- WI Daily: 373 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 19th, 2021
- WI Daily: 518 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 18th, 2021
- WI Daily: 727 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 17th, 2021
- WI Daily: 709 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 16th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here