State Rep. David Bowen Applauds New Governor Evers Visit to Lincoln Hills, Copper Lake
Highlights the contrast with leadership of the past
Governor Evers and Lt. Governor Barnes conducted a tour on Friday of the troubled Lincoln Hills juvenile prison with Secretary Carr of the state Department of Corrections. Bowen stated, “This stands in stark contrast to the actions of former Governor Walker who neglected to visit once during his tenure, even as the situation deteriorated to the point that an investigation was opened by the FBI.
“No matter what side of the aisle you’re on, we can be thankful for Governor Evers making this trip one of his top priorities in office and showing these youth, advocates, and workers that they finally have a governor who is willing to lead.
“As Ranking Member of the Assembly Committee on Corrections, I look forward to working with the Evers Administration and the other members of this committee to bring bi-partisan transparency to our juvenile correctional institutions. It’s time to further restoration and dignity-based reforms that put an end to the horrors that have been allowed to happen at Lincoln Hills & Copper Lake for far too long,” Bowen concluded.
A repair bill to last session’s legislation is forthcoming and being worked on currently.
- Evers Proposes $45.8 Million for Milwaukee Juvenile Facility - Gretchen Schuldt - Mar 1st, 2021
- MKE County: County Has Just 22 Inmates in Youth Prisons - Edgar Mendez - Feb 24th, 2021
- Evers Pushes Juvenile Justice System Changes - Corri Hess - Feb 18th, 2021
- Youth Justice Milwaukee Calls for Transformation of the Wisconsin Youth Justice System as the State Acknowledges it Will Not Meet the July 2021 Deadline to Close Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake Prisons - Youth Justice Milwaukee - Feb 8th, 2021
- Pandemic Causes Youth Prison Problems - Graham Kilmer - Jan 27th, 2021
- Can State Rescue Youth Corrections Plan? - Graham Kilmer - Jan 11th, 2021
- State Can’t Meet Deadline to Close Youth Prisons - Graham Kilmer - Dec 30th, 2020
- MKE County: Crowley Defers Youth Corrections Grant Until State Has Sustainable Plan - Graham Kilmer - Sep 16th, 2020
- State Blows Up County Youth Corrections Plan - Graham Kilmer - May 20th, 2020
- Youth Advocates Remain Committed to Closing Wisconsin Youth Prisons Following Monitor’s Report - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Mar 5th, 2020
Read more about Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. David Bowen
“Like Altogether Too Many Others, This Killing Was Avoidable”
Rep. Bowen Applauds Biden-Harris Administration for Executive Action to Curb Gun Violence in Our CommunitiesApr 8th, 2021 by State Rep. David Bowen
“These Actions Are Not Only Welcome, They Will Undoubtedly Save Lives”
“An End to This Pandemic is in Sight for Our Communities”