Special Public Safety and Health Committee meeting set for Monday, July 27
Agenda to include communication about federal intervention in Milwaukee
Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic, chair of the Public Safety and Health Committee, has called a special committee meeting that will take place Monday, July 27 at 9 a.m. The agenda includes a communication file regarding the recent federal decision to deploy resources to Milwaukee to address violent crime. The communication file extends invitations to the Mayor’s Office, the City Attorney, Milwaukee Police Department, District Attorney, Wisconsin Department of Justice Office of the Attorney General and Congresswomen Moore’s Office to discuss what this decision means to the public and how the city intends to address the issue.
“The decision to assign federal agents to Milwaukee was not a welcome one, and the communication with local officials was nonexistent. The community deserves a transparent discussion about this decision and what it means for our city, and this is why I called this special committee meeting prior to the Council’s August recess,” said Alderwoman Dimitrijevic.
The communication file was introduced by Alderman Khalif J. Rainey, and he welcomes the opportunity to discuss this matter publically. “The action by the President is not needed and in fact runs against many of the steps we have taken as a community to come together to better our city,” said Alderman Rainey. “I look forward to a productive conversation next week and encourage to public to make their voices heard on this issue.”
Public comment is encouraged for the file and those wishing to provide input on this item should follow the e-comment instructions below.
- Visit milwaukee.legistar.com/Calendar.
- Select the “e-comment” button across from the meeting during which the desired file will be heard. Meeting info is listed above.
- Scroll down to the item number that corresponds to the desired file and click the “comment” button.
- Fill in the necessary information, select a position and type a comment in the comment box. Note that comments are limited to 600 characters.
- Hit submit.
The special Public Safety and Health Committee meeting will be televised live on the City Channel (channel 25 on Spectrum Cable and channel 99 on AT&T U-Verse in the City of Milwaukee) and via streaming video on the city website at city.milwaukee.gov/Channel25.
- Federal “Surge” Is At Least 25 Agents - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 29th, 2020
- City Hall: Milwaukee Federal Agent “Surge” Nothing New? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 27th, 2020
- Op Ed: Trump Has Enormous “Emergency” Powers - Matt Rothschild - Jul 27th, 2020
- League of Women Voters of Milwaukee County Statement on Deployment of Federal Law Enforcement Officers to Milwaukee - League of Women Voters of Milwaukee County - Jul 27th, 2020
- Special Public Safety and Health Committee meeting set for Monday, July 27 - Ald. Marina Dimitrijevic - Jul 25th, 2020
- Common Council opposes divisive and unwanted federal action in Milwaukee - Ald. Khalif Rainey - Jul 24th, 2020
- MPD responds to reported deployment of federal agents in Milwaukee - Milwaukee Police Department - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Trump Sending Federal Agent “Surge” to Milwaukee, State, Local Officials React - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement: - Mayor Tom Barrett - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Council could back legislation requiring federal law enforcement officers to wear visible identification - Ald. Milele Coggs - Jul 23rd, 2020
Read more about Federal Agent Surge here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Marina Dimitrijevic
Agenda includes mayor’s nomination of FPC executive director, appointment and reappointment of FPC board members
Statement of Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic November 12, 2020