Speaker Ryan Chooses Campaign Donors Over South Florida Teacher
"We need a Speaker who will listen to everyone, not just the NRA and other special interests who cut him checks."
RACINE, WI – Last night, Speaker Ryan refused to speak with a teacher who wanted to discuss gun reform at a Florida fundraiser Ryan was attending in support of the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC). Democratic congressional candidate Randy Bryce released the following statement on the event. Bryce is running to replace Ryan as the Congressman for Wisconsin’s First District.
“Last night, Speaker Ryan went to Florida, not to mourn with the families of Parkland, but to raise money to help re-elect himself and other Republican congressmen who won’t vote for reasonable gun reform. And when he got there, he refused to speak with a Florida teacher who came to the fundraiser wanting to speak with him about gun reform, and to share with him how scared her students were, and how upset she was. Instead, the teacher was asked to leave the premises.
“We need a Speaker who will listen to everyone, not just the NRA and other special interests who cut him checks.”
About Randy Bryce
Randy Bryce is a U.S. Army veteran, cancer survivor, and union ironworker. He was raised in southeastern Wisconsin, and went to public schools. Randy’s father was a police officer, and his mother worked in a doctor’s office. After graduation, Randy enlisted in the U.S. Army, and was posted to Honduras, where he earned the Army Achievement Medal. After returning stateside, Randy was diagnosed with cancer, which he survived, but only after struggling through the bankruptcy that came with the medical bills. Once in remission, Randy found his way to an apprenticeship as an iron worker, a trade he’s now been practicing and fighting to protect from anti-labor laws for nearly 20 years. Randy currently resides in Caledonia, WI with his son, Ben, who attends public schools like his dad. Randy joined the race for Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional District in Summer 2017.
Randy Bryce for Congress
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Knoxville, TN - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Apr 12th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Applauds Biden-Harris Administration for Executive Action to Curb Gun Violence in Our Communities - State Rep. David Bowen - Apr 8th, 2021
- Senator Agard Applauds President Biden Taking Steps to Address Gun Violence - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 8th, 2021
- AG Kaul, Dem Lawmakers Push New Gun Laws - Laurel White - Apr 1st, 2021
- Senator Agard joins Attorney General Josh Kaul, Senator LaTonya Johnson in Support of Governor Evers’ Gun Safety Budget Provisions - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Gun Owners for Gun Control - Dave Cieslewicz - Mar 28th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Condemns Anti-Asian Hate, Calls for Common Sense Gun Reform - State Rep. David Bowen - Mar 26th, 2021
- Senator Agard responds to Speaker Vos comments regarding gun reform legislation - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 24th, 2021
- Rep. Stubbs Statement on Shooting in Boulder, Colorado - State Rep. Shelia Stubbs - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Senator Agard Responds to Boulder Shooting, Calls for Immediate Action on Gun Safety in Wisconsin - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 23rd, 2021
Read more about Gun Violence here
Recent Press Releases by Randy Bryce
"I know the real threats to this country-- and I can tell you the free press is not the enemy."