Sen. Larson statement on adopted COVID-19 legislation
Madison, WI – “The legislation adopted in the Wisconsin State Senate today to address the COVID-19 pandemic is too little, too late, and also deeply flawed. The bottom line is that it is an insult to the people of Wisconsin who have been begging for the legislature to act for nearly 9 months. If this pandemic is a wildfire that’s been raging out of control for 9 months, then this bill is a single bucket of muddy water, which utterly fails to meet the moment we are in. If history is any guide, this was likely our only chance to make things right.
“Businesses are struggling all across our state, families are finding it harder to put food on the table, and over 5,200 of our Wisconsin neighbors have died. We need to expand access to healthcare, support our medical professionals, ensure certainty and safety to our schools, and provide relief to small businesses.
“I applaud the work of Governor Evers over these past few months to find common ground with a legislative majority that has fought him every step of the way in the fight against COVID-19. Unfortunately, Republicans don’t seem to understand the seriousness of this disease, or the significant role the state government can play to improve the lives of its citizens, if it only showed the will to act that is so desperately needed at this time.
“The people of Wisconsin have their work cut out for them to get to the other side of the COVID-19 pandemic. Sadly, with today’s Senate action, we have ensured that work is going to take even longer to complete. Denied the opportunity to record my objection to the final bill, which passed by voice vote, I voted ‘no’ on the final amendment to make it clear this was not the legislation our Wisconsin neighbors needed or deserved.”
- WI Daily: 2,070 New COVID-19 Cases - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 22nd, 2021
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Asks President Biden to Reopen the ACA Marketplace to Allow Wisconsinites to Get Health Insurance During COVID-19 Pandemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jan 22nd, 2021
- GOP Legislators Want to Repeal Mask Mandate - Erik Gunn - Jan 22nd, 2021
- What’s It Like to Get COVID-19 Vaccine? - Matt Martinez - Jan 22nd, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Being Suppressed Countywide - Graham Kilmer - Jan 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 2,177 New COVID-19 Cases - Jeramey Jannene - Jan 21st, 2021
- Republican Bills Hinder Wisconsin’s Efforts to Slow the Spread of COVID-19 - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Jan 21st, 2021
- Mass Vaccination Bill Clears Committee - Erik Gunn - Jan 21st, 2021
- President Joe Biden Takes Executive Action to Increase Supply of Vaccine, Medical and Testing Supplies - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jan 21st, 2021
- DHS Releases Enhancements to COVID-19 Data Disease Activity Dashboard - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Jan 21st, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Chris Larson