School Safety Grant Program Avoids Larger Issues of Gun Violence
"Trying to solve gun violence while pushing the gun industries priorities is like trying to put out a fire with a flamethrower."
Milwaukee, WI – Today, Senator Chris Larson released the following statement on Republican inaction on the epidemic of gun violence:
“Today, Attorney General Schimel again held a press conference to announce School Safety Grant recipients and again these one-time funds, and the legislation that made them possible, do nothing to address the root cause of these gun violence — guns. It has become all too apparent that the lax laws and ease of access to firearms is a major problem that has been ignored by the majority party for far too long.
“This is a problem Wisconsin can solve.
“We also sought to reinstate the 48 hour waiting period for gun purchases. This cooling off period would reduce both homicides and suicides. By eliminating this waiting period two years ago we, as a state, caved to the gun manufacturers lobby at the expense of our citizens.
“By completely ignoring the issue of guns in their “school safety” package Governor Walker, Republican Lawmakers, and Attorney General Brad Schimel telegraphed their complete willingness to cater to special interest gun lobbyists like the Russian funded NRA. Trying to solve gun violence while pushing the gun industries priorities is like trying to put out a fire with a flamethrower. I call on legislators and elected officials to show some backbone, by standing with their neighbors instead of gun manufacturers and finally acting to address gun violence.
- Gun Violence: Where personal agenda and personal responsibility separate - Tom Palzewicz - Jul 9th, 2020
- Nothing Changed After Molson Coors Shooting - Allison Stevens - Mar 6th, 2020
- Op Ed: Losing Sheila’s Smile - Jeff Spitzer-Resnick - Dec 31st, 2019
- Baldwin Helps Secure Federal Funding to Conduct Gun Violence Research For First Time in More Than 20 Years - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 19th, 2019
- How Gerrymandering Stalls Gun Safety - Robin Bravender - Dec 17th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls for Action on Funding Gun Violence Research at CDC - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Evers May Call Second Special Session on Guns - Laurel White - Nov 19th, 2019
- Rep. Anderson Addresses Republican Inaction on Gun Reform - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Nov 8th, 2019
- Rep. Considine Reacts to Legislature’s Inaction During Special Session - State Rep. Dave Considine - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republicans Dismiss Governor’s Special Session - Laurel White - Nov 8th, 2019
Read more about Gun Violence here
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Chris Larson