Robin Vos Giving $500 an Hour Lawyers a Blank Check to Defend His Scheme to Rig the Rules for Foxconn
‘The Only Thing Wisconsin Taxpayers are Getting Out of These Republican Deals is Being Stuck With the Bill’
MADISON, Wis. — Assembly Speaker Robin Vos and legislative Republicans are giving high priced lawyers a blank check to defend their actions to rig the rules for the troubled Foxconn project in Southeastern Wisconsin. According to media reports, Vos and others have authorized an unlimited amount of fees to an out of state law firm whose lawyers will bill Wisconsin taxpayers at a rate of $500 per hour.
“Robin Vos is handing out a blank check to an out of state law firm to defend himself and Republicans for their actions, including weakening oversight and accountability for their troubled Foxconn deal handing over the biggest state subsidy in history for a foreign corporation,” said One Wisconsin Now Executive Director Analiese Eicher.
According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
“Taxpayers will pay the lead attorney for lawmakers $500 an hour, according to contracts released Friday under the state’s open records law… There are no caps on how much attorneys for the Republicans can charge.”
The legal team defending Vos will reportedly be led by a lawyer who previously worked for defeated Republican Attorney General Brad Schimel, Misha Tseytlin. His state job, which largely consisted of filing politically motivated lawsuits against the administration of Democratic President Obama, paid slightly less than $65 an hour. Now that Tseytlin will be defending the GOP he’s billing state taxpayers $500 per hour.
Eicher noted One Wisconsin Institute recently prevailed in separate legal action brought against unconstitutional attacks on voting also passed by Republicans and signed into law by former Gov. Scott Walker in the December lame duck legislative session. In his decisive ruling, federal Judge James Peterson enforced his previous order enjoining racially discriminatory restrictions on early voting.
She concluded, “While $500 an hour lawyers are lining up for their payday and Foxconn fails to live up to its promises the only thing Wisconsin taxpayers are getting out of these Republican deals is being stuck with the bill.”
One Wisconsin Now is a statewide communications network specializing in effective earned media and online organizing to advance progressive leadership and values.
- State Reviewing Foxconn Jobs Report - Erik Gunn - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Foxconn Hosts Smart Manufacturing Web Conference, Launches iAI Institute - Foxconn Technology Group - Jul 10th, 2020
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by One Wisconsin Now
State Supreme Court Candidate Co-Authored Column Opposing Efforts to Clean Up Court Campaigns
Over $14,000 from Board Members of Right-Wing Legal Group to State Court Justice’s Campaign
Dan Kelly Supporters Want Court Action to Allow Enforcement of Abortion Ban Dating to 19th Century