Risser Calls for Decriminalizing Marijuana
Wisconsin marijuana laws have a disproportionately negative effect on communities of color.
Madison – Today Senator Risser, along with Lt. Governor Mandela Barnes and Representatives Shelia Stubbs, David Crowley and Dave Considine introduced legislation that would decriminalize 28 grams or less of marijuana in the state of Wisconsin.
Wisconsin marijuana laws have a disproportionately negative effect on communities of color. A 2018 study by the Wisconsin Center for Investigative Journalism found that between 2014-2018 Black residents were four times more likely and Native American residents three times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than white residents.
While the Black and Native American population collectively comprise only seven percent of the state population, they comprise over 40 percent of the state’s prison population.
“I believe it is important to emphasize the distinction between decriminalization and legalization,” said Risser. “Decriminalizing marijuana simply means we are asking law enforcement to stop arresting folks for having small amounts of marijuana. For context, 28 grams of marijuana is two tablespoons. Under this bill, the manufacture and sale of the drug itself would remain illegal.”
- A Day to Consider Legalizing Pot - Isiah Holmes - Apr 20th, 2020
- New ACLU Report: Black People Four Times More Likely to Get Arrested for Marijuana Possession in Wisconsin - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Apr 20th, 2020
- ‘When, Not If’ Medical Marijuana Is Legalized - Corri Hess - Feb 4th, 2020
- State Residents Cross Border for Legal Pot - Corri Hess - Jan 3rd, 2020
- GOP Bill Legalizes Medical Marijuana - Shawn Johnson - Dec 11th, 2019
- The Cannabis Question: More People Using Pot as Medicine - Shayli Kipnis - Nov 9th, 2019
- The Cannabis Question: Bill Eases Burdens On Pot Offenders - Natalie Yahr - Nov 6th, 2019
- The Cannabis Question: Pot Possession Charges Cause Big Problems - Natalie Yahr - Nov 2nd, 2019
- Bill Would Decriminalize Pot Possession - Laurel White - Oct 30th, 2019
- Senator Larson Continues to Support Legalization and Decriminalization of Marijuana - State Sen. Chris Larson - Oct 30th, 2019
Read more about Legalizing of Marijuana here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Sen. Fred Risser
Last night during the State of the State Address, Governor Evers delivered a resounding call to action on the challenges facing our state.
“If taken literally, this would prohibit a governor from reversing irresponsible cuts made by a vindictive legislature.”