Rep. Dora Drake: Statement about the Senate Anti-Mask Resolution
MADISON- Today, State Rep. Dora Drake (D-11th Assembly District Milwaukee) shared her thoughts regarding Resolution SRJ 3 to repeal the Governor’s emergency order and mask mandate:
“As the Wisconsin Assembly convenes today to vote on this resolution, the constituents of District 11, community members, business owners, and local public health officials understand what wearing a mask means, what the impact will have for our communities, and the state overall.
They understand we all must do our part if we want to come out of this together. Wearing a mask protects me from getting COVID if you have it, and protects you from getting COVID if I have it. This statewide mask requirement saves lives and has received support from communities and stakeholders throughout the state of Wisconsin.
Our local public health officials need certainty, which is why having a statewide approach creates a centralized, effective plan to keep our numbers under control in every corner of Wisconsin.
In addition, passing this resolution likely means Wisconsin would not qualify for additional federal funding for food assistance. This would cause nearly 243,000 Wisconsinites to struggle with food security, an unnecessary and morally wrong burden to place on individuals and families during this time.
COVID and hunger do not know county lines, municipal lines, or political lines. Maintaining the Governor’s emergency order and mask requirement allows us to keep our numbers under control, receive federal funding for food assistance, and promotes public health safety in Wisconsin.
- DHS Announces Groups Eligible for COVID-19 Vaccine on March 1 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 25th, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department Adjusts Testing Hours at American Family Field - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Feb 25th, 2021
- WI Daily: 747 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor the More Than 6,300 Wisconsinites and 500,000 Americans Lost to COVID-19 - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 23rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 423 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 22nd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Suit Asks State Supreme Court to Toss Mask Order - Erik Gunn - Feb 11th, 2021
- Op Ed: Why the War on Masks? Gerrymandering - Mel Barnes - Feb 7th, 2021
- Will Supreme Court Act on Mask Mandate? - Erik Gunn - Feb 6th, 2021
- Rep. Robyn Vining Supports Wearing Masks to Save Lives - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Feb 5th, 2021
- Rep. Rodriguez: Authors Legislation to Create Statewide Mask Order - State Rep. Sara Rodriguez - Feb 5th, 2021
- Democrats Take Action to Protect Public Health - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Feb 5th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Statement on Senate Joint Resolution 3 and Executive Order #105 - State Rep. David Bowen - Feb 4th, 2021
- Republicans End Mask Mandate, Evers Puts It Back In Place - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 4th, 2021
- Rep. Robyn Vining Responds to Assembly Republicans’ Actions to Disregard the Lives and Livelihoods of Wisconsinites - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Feb 4th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Puts Public Health Before Politics, Signs New Public Health Emergency - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 4th, 2021
Read more about Statewide Mask Mandate here