Proclamation by the Mayor
Whereas, on May 29th, 2020, multiple protests and demonstrations in the City of Milwaukee occurred regarding recent police officer involved deaths in Minneapolis and Milwaukee;
Whereas, the peaceful assembly of persons exercising their First Amendment right to protests ended at approximately 10:00 p.m. After the conclusion of the peaceful protests, other individuals began to act in a manner that disrupted the safety and good order of the City of Milwaukee;
Whereas, after approximately 10:00 p.m. and the conclusion of the protests, a police squad was damaged by these unlawful and violent actions of these separate individuals and a number of people began driving motor vehicles on sidewalks and into oncoming traffic lanes, and subsequently coordinated vehicular travel to various locations throughout Milwaukee to break windows and loot various retail establishments;
Whereas, just after midnight until approximately 3:00 a.m. on May 30th, 2020, these individuals began to throw items at law enforcement officers, causing injuries thereto, and continued travelling throughout the City of Milwaukee engaged in the following activities: multiple instances of shots fired, multiple instances of mass theft of private property, defacement and vandalism of private property, vandalism of public property, and the shooting of an on duty Milwaukee Police Department officer, as well as other acts that endangered the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of Milwaukee.
Whereas, it is expedient for the health, safety, welfare, and good order of the City of Milwaukee that a curfew be imposed limiting pedestrian and vehicular travel in order to stem the coordinated looting and property damage to private and public property in the City of Milwaukee; now, therefore,
I, Tom Barrett, Mayor of the City of Milwaukee, hereby declare that:
Pursuant to the authority granted me by Wisconsin Statute § 323.14(4)(b), and Milwaukee Code of Ordinance § 6-07-3 I hereby proclaim and declare a state of emergency in the City of Milwaukee and order an emergency curfew in the entire City of Milwaukee for all persons from 9:00 p.m. May 30th, 2020, until 07:00 a.m. on May 31st , 2020. All persons shall cease vehicular and pedestrian travel on the public way, streets, sidewalks and highways and return to their homes, places of work or other convenient place. Government, social services, and credentialed press acting in their official capacity are exempt from this order.
Dated at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, this 30th day of May 2020.
Tom Barrett Mayor
- Group Repainting Defund Mural, MPD Watches - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 5th, 2020
- Protest Day 37: Marches, Celebrations, Calls For Justice - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Rep. Brostoff’s Livestream From Tonight’s March - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Florists For Social Justice at Sherman Phoenix - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- This Weekends Protests Against Police Brutality - Graham Kilmer - Jul 3rd, 2020
- “Defund The Police” Becomes “Defend The Police” - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Protesters Enter the Cheesecake Factory at Mayfair - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 2nd, 2020
- City Hall: Should Police Report Every Time They Draw Weapon? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Giannis Protest Mural Planned for Bay View Bar - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- Tosa PD Getting New Body Cameras - Isiah Holmes - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about George Floyd Protests here
Recent Press Releases by Mayor Tom Barrett
Mayor Tom Barrett released the following statement regarding the City of Milwaukee emergency curfew:Jun 3rd, 2020 by Mayor Tom Barrett
“The City of Milwaukee will not be issuing a curfew for today, June 3.”