PrideFest 2018 welcomes a record-breaking 45,400
All-volunteer team delivers largest LGBTQ event in Wisconsin history
Milwaukee, WI – Despite grey skies, unseasonable cold and intermittent rain showers, PrideFest Milwaukee conquered the weekend weather with unprecedented attendance outcomes.
For the seventh consecutive year, PrideFest delivered record-breaking attendance with 45,400 visitors in 2018. This number reflects a 21% increase over the previous record of 37,682 set in 2017. This is the single largest year-over-year increase in the 31-year history of PrideFest Milwaukee.
“Attending an event of this size, complexity and quality, it may be hard to believe that we are an all-volunteer organization” said Michail Takach, vice president of Milwaukee Pride, Inc. “But here’s the honest truth: PrideFest Milwaukee would not be possible without hundreds of devoted, passionate, unpaid volunteers who come together every year to make this event happen for the community.”
“We owe every one of our volunteers a thunderous round of applause.”
2018 was a “year of firsts” for PrideFest Milwaukee, including:
- PrideFest’s first-ever four-day weekend as the festival expanded with a Thursday Launch Party;
- The first-ever 1st Annual Ride with Pride, in partnership with Harley-Davidson Museum, Fuel Cafe, Brewtown Rumble and more;
- The first-ever VIP Tea Dance, sponsored by premiere radio partner 91.7 WMSE.
2018 was also the first year that PrideFest Milwaukee rejected tobacco sponsorship dollars, refocusing on local LGBTQ well-being through expanded Health & Wellness, Stonewall Stage, PrideFit and South Ends Sports Zone programming.
“We are humbled by your support,” said Gerry Coon, executive director of Diverse & Resilient. “We are on the front lines teaching young people about sexual health, safe dating, STI testing & prevention, and the risks of substance misuse. By saying Plus One at the box office, you said yes to a healthier LGBTQ community.”
PrideFest Milwaukee 2018 welcomed headliners The B-52s, Jussie Smollett, Daya, JoJo, Cash Cash and over 300 additional acts at 10 performance spaces, including the extremely popular Dance Pavilion, Wom!nz Spot and Milwaukee Record Stages.
Virginia Delegate Danica Roem served as keynote speaker at Opening Ceremonies, where the 2018 Pride Awards were delivered to five local heroes. This year’s Opening Ceremonies were dedicated to Josie Carter, a gender non-conforming woman of color whose involvement in the Black Nite Brawl of 1961 marked Wisconsin’s first documented LGBTQ uprising. Carter was also celebrated at this year’s PrideFest History Exhibit.
“As those who strive to preserve history, it only makes sense that we continue to make history,” said Wes Shaver, president of Milwaukee Pride, Inc. “Who would ever have dreamed in 1988 that a modest picnic in Mitchell Park would become a world-class celebration recognized worldwide?
“When you walked through our gates, you put your name in our history book. You left your mark. You told the world that you support and advocate for Milwaukee’s incredible LGBTQ community. We can’t thank you enough.”
Dates for PrideFest Milwaukee 2019 will be announced in July. Sponsors, donors, volunteers and vendors are encouraged to contact email@example.com.
About Milwaukee Pride
The mission of Milwaukee Pride, Inc., is:
- to educate both the general community and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer (LGBTQ) communities about needs, issues and various aspects of the LGBTQ culture;
- to provide a forum to celebrate the history and accomplishments of LGBTQ people;
- to create an environment for networking and outreach for services and community opportunities for LGBTQ people and their families and friends; and
- any other activities exclusively for charitable, educational, and research purposes, including, for such purposes, the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by PrideFest
Tonight's launch party welcomes favorite DJs, dancers, artists & more!
Admission is FREE when you #GivePlusOne