New Budget Projections Show Need for Fiscal Responsibility
MADISON, WI– Following the release of an updated budget projection from the Legislative Fiscal Bureau showing an $870 million decline in tax collections in April alone and coming on the heals of Governor Evers’ announcement that Wisconsin will likely face a nearly $2 billion deficit in the coming fiscal year, Americans for Prosperity – Wisconsin (AFP-WI) encourages the legislature and Governor to make fiscally responsible decisions, seek cost savings, and empower businesses to safely reopen soon to mitigate further economic damage.
AFP-WI State Director Eric Bott issued the following statement:
“Wisconsin policymakers have spent years making the tough, but prudent, budget decisions that allowed us to make regular deposits into the Rainy Day Fund, improve our bond rating, and fully fund our pension system – all while providing over $13 billion in tax relief. The economic disaster caused by COVID-19 and the ensuing shutdowns is no reason to reverse course.
“We encourage policymakers to lean into their principles and the roadmap of the last decade to help navigate the coming budget deficit. Lawmakers must identify ways to reduce and re-prioritize spending while protecting Wisconsin taxpayers.
“To mitigate further economic damage, policymakers must work together with our businesses to develop solutions that get as many Wisconsinites as possible back to work safely and quickly. We can and should open our economy while protecting public health.”
For further information or an interview, reach Nicole Tardif at NTardif@afphq.org or (571) 329-0161.
Through broad-based grassroots outreach, Americans for Prosperity (AFP) is driving long-term solutions to the country’s biggest problems. AFP activists engage friends and neighbors on key issues and encourage them to take an active role in building a culture of mutual benefit, where people succeed by helping one another. AFP recruits and unites Wisconsinites behind a common goal of advancing policies that will help people improve their lives. For more information, visit www.AmericansForProsperity.org
- For the sake of Wisconsin’s schools, state legislators urge U.S. Senate Delegation to pass the HEROES Act - State Sen. Chris Larson - Aug 12th, 2020
- Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Receives Nursing Assistance from USDVA and WI National Guard - Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs - Aug 11th, 2020
- WI Daily: Over 1,000 Wisconsin Residents Have Died From COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 11th, 2020
- DPW Responds to 1,000 Wisconsinites Dying from COVID-19 - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Aug 11th, 2020
- Wisconsin COVID-19 Death Toll Surpasses 1,000 - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 11th, 2020
- School Reopening Plans Get Failing Grades - Terry Falk - Aug 11th, 2020
- Universities Require COVID-19 Pledge - Rich Kremer - Aug 11th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Hospitalizations Jump To 74-Day High - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 10th, 2020
- Wisconsinites Deserve to Know Where Our Elected Officials Stand on Donald Trump’s Executive Orders - A Better Wisconsin Together - Aug 10th, 2020
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin: Trump Needs to Start Working with Congress to Pass Bipartisan Legislation That Helps Wisconsin With Ongoing and Worsening Public Health and Economic Crisis - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Aug 10th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by AFP Wisconsin