Milwaukee Public Schools Reopening Plan Approved by Board of School Directors
Board votes in favor of phased reopening, beginning 2020-21 school year virtually
MILWAUKEE (July 16, 2020) — Milwaukee Public Schools‘ (MPS) phased-in reopening recommendation for the 2020-21 school year was unanimously approved by the Milwaukee Board of School Directors. The Board also approved to maintain the early and traditional start calendars for the school year.
The phased in approach includes, Phase 1-full remote learning, Phase 2-hybird learning, and Phase 3-face-to-face learning with virtual option.
MPS will start the school year with virtual learning for all students. As the spread of COVID-19 decreases, students will return to schools for two days each week for face-to-face learning and virtual three days each week. Phase three will allow all students to return to the classroom five days a week, when conditions are healthy to return. MPS will monitor public health conditions to determine movement between each phase.
“To help preserve the health and well-being of our students and staff, we believe virtual learning is the best scenario at this time,” MPS Superintendent Dr. Keith P. Posley said. “This was a difficult decision but a necessary one as we work diligently to provide the best education for our students. We look forward to returning to in-class instruction but only when we can do so safely.”
As details continue to develop, the district will provide information to students, families, and staff regarding the upcoming school year. Families are encouraged to stay up to date with information about the fall semester by visiting the MPS website, downloading the MPS App on their smartphones, and following MPS on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
To enroll, visit mpsmke.com/enroll, call 414-267-5100, or take part in Curbside Enrollment at MPS Central Services on August 3rd and 4th.
- Republicans Fight Evers Mask Order - Erik Gunn - Sep 23rd, 2020
- WI Daily: Record Number of People Hospitalized with COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Governor Evers Violates State Law Again with Third COVID Emergency Declaration - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Sep 22nd, 2020
- DPW Statement on 200,000 Coronavirus Deaths - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Sep 22nd, 2020
- State Prisons Charging Inmates for Masks - Gretchen Schuldt - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Baldwin Calls On Republicans to Stand for Science, Support Bill to Stop Trump Administration’s Political Interference in COVID-19 Response - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Is UW-Madison Spreading COVID-19? - Henry Redman - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Evers Declares New Health Emergency, Extends Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 22nd, 2020
- Gov. Evers Declares New Public Health Emergency Due to Campus Outbreaks, Issues New Face Coverings Order - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 22nd, 2020
- WI Daily: Hospitalizations Reach Highest Point Since Early April - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 21st, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Date to resume MPS athletic activities to be determined
Starting September 1, students will be able to receive meals at 50 sites within the district
Early Start Calendar schools to begin virtual learning Monday, August 17