Milwaukee Public Schools Reopening Plan Approved by Board of School Directors
Board votes in favor of phased reopening, beginning 2020-21 school year virtually
MILWAUKEE (July 16, 2020) — Milwaukee Public Schools‘ (MPS) phased-in reopening recommendation for the 2020-21 school year was unanimously approved by the Milwaukee Board of School Directors. The Board also approved to maintain the early and traditional start calendars for the school year.
The phased in approach includes, Phase 1-full remote learning, Phase 2-hybird learning, and Phase 3-face-to-face learning with virtual option.
MPS will start the school year with virtual learning for all students. As the spread of COVID-19 decreases, students will return to schools for two days each week for face-to-face learning and virtual three days each week. Phase three will allow all students to return to the classroom five days a week, when conditions are healthy to return. MPS will monitor public health conditions to determine movement between each phase.
“To help preserve the health and well-being of our students and staff, we believe virtual learning is the best scenario at this time,” MPS Superintendent Dr. Keith P. Posley said. “This was a difficult decision but a necessary one as we work diligently to provide the best education for our students. We look forward to returning to in-class instruction but only when we can do so safely.”
As details continue to develop, the district will provide information to students, families, and staff regarding the upcoming school year. Families are encouraged to stay up to date with information about the fall semester by visiting the MPS website, downloading the MPS App on their smartphones, and following MPS on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
To enroll, visit mpsmke.com/enroll, call 414-267-5100, or take part in Curbside Enrollment at MPS Central Services on August 3rd and 4th.
- WI Daily: 513 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 14th, 2021
- Fully Vaccinated People Can Resume Activities Without Masks - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - May 14th, 2021
- Bill Would Ban UW-System Vaccine Requirements - Henry Redman - May 14th, 2021
- WI Daily: 485 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 13th, 2021
- State Approves COVID-19 Vaccine for Kids 12 and Older - Erik Gunn - May 13th, 2021
- Brewers Home Games to be at Full Capacity Beginning June 25 - Milwaukee Brewers - May 13th, 2021
- Milwaukee Removing Most COVID-19 Restrictions on June 15th - Jeramey Jannene - May 13th, 2021
- Wisconsin Now Offering COVID-19 Vaccinations to Children Ages 12-15 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - May 12th, 2021
- WI Daily: 558 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 12th, 2021
- WILL Sues Biden Administration for Race, Sex Discrimination in Allocation of COVID Relief Funds for Restaurants - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - May 12th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Superintendent focuses on essential investments
Bob Peterson will serve as Board Chair and Sequanna Taylor will serve as Vice President
All Athletics Activities Will Follow MPS’s Return-to-Play Game Plan