Crowley: Milwaukee County Courthouse, Safety Building, and Criminal Justice Facility to Close at 2:00 PM Today
MILWAUKEE – The Milwaukee County Courthouse, Safety Building, and Criminal Justice Facility will be closed as 2:00 PM today, October 7. The closures come in advance of the news regarding potential charges for Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah in the fatal February shooting of Alvin Cole.
“This has been a one-of-a-kind summer for County residents and employees alike as we continue to battle two pandemics: COVID-19 and the effects of generations of systemic racism. In anticipation of today’s decision, I encourage County employees to use the early closure to continue to heal from the trauma of the last seven months and reflect on the County’s stated goals of achieving racial equity and becoming the healthiest county in the state,” said County Executive David Crowley. “I’m confident that closing these County facilities early will not only give us all much needed time for reflection and self-care, but also help prevent the escalation of the anticipated peaceful vigils and protests in the downtown area this evening.”
The closure procedure 2.18 under the Administrative Manual of Operating Procedures is available at: https://county.milwaukee.gov/files/county/administrative-services/AMOP/Chapter-2-Human-Resources/02.18BuildingClosurePolicy_Rev2.pdf
Court hearings scheduled for this afternoon will either be conducted via Zoom and/or rescheduled.
- Tosa Police Chief Testifies About Mensah - Corri Hess - May 4th, 2021
- Body Cameras Key To Charges Against Police - Corri Hess - May 4th, 2021
- DA Explains Timing of Alvin Cole Decision - Isiah Holmes - Apr 15th, 2021
- Did DA Delay Mensah Decision Due To Kenosha Unrest? - Isiah Holmes - Apr 8th, 2021
- Tosa Police Chief Will Testify in New Mensah Case - Corri Hess - Mar 25th, 2021
- Was Jay Anderson’s Killing Properly Investigated? - Isiah Holmes - Mar 10th, 2021
- 50 Plaintiffs Sue Wauwatosa - Hannah Haynes - Mar 7th, 2021
- ACLU Calls for National Search for Tosa Police Chief - Isiah Holmes - Feb 23rd, 2021
- Waukesha Faith Group Questions Mensah Hiring - Isiah Holmes - Feb 18th, 2021
- Rep. Bowen Statement on One-Year Anniversary of the Killing of Alvin Cole - State Rep. David Bowen - Feb 2nd, 2021
Read more about Case of Officer Joseph Mensah here