Milwaukee County Courthouse, Safety Building, and Criminal Justice Facility to Close at 2:00 PM Today
MILWAUKEE – The Milwaukee County Courthouse, Safety Building, and Criminal Justice Facility will be closed as 2:00 PM today, October 7. The closures come in advance of the news regarding potential charges for Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah in the fatal February shooting of Alvin Cole.
“This has been a one-of-a-kind summer for County residents and employees alike as we continue to battle two pandemics: COVID-19 and the effects of generations of systemic racism. In anticipation of today’s decision, I encourage County employees to use the early closure to continue to heal from the trauma of the last seven months and reflect on the County’s stated goals of achieving racial equity and becoming the healthiest county in the state,” said County Executive David Crowley. “I’m confident that closing these County facilities early will not only give us all much needed time for reflection and self-care, but also help prevent the escalation of the anticipated peaceful vigils and protests in the downtown area this evening.”
The closure procedure 2.18 under the Administrative Manual of Operating Procedures is available at: https://county.milwaukee.gov/files/county/administrative-services/AMOP/Chapter-2-Human-Resources/02.18BuildingClosurePolicy_Rev2.pdf
Court hearings scheduled for this afternoon will either be conducted via Zoom and/or rescheduled.
- Wauwatosa Mayor Headlines Newsmaker Lunch Hour - Milwaukee Press Club - Oct 19th, 2020
- A Stormy Week in Wauwatosa - Isiah Holmes - Oct 18th, 2020
- Joint statement from Indivisible Tosa, Tosa Together, Tosa Moms Tackling Racism, and The People’s Revolution: - Indivisible Tosa - Oct 14th, 2020
- Wisconsin National Guard concludes Wauwatosa support mission - Wisconsin National Guard Public Affairs - Oct 14th, 2020
- National Lawyers Guild Condemns Wauwatosa Police Department’s Escalation of Violence Against Protestors and Use of Selective Policing - National Lawyers Guild, Milwaukee Chapter - Oct 14th, 2020
- Supervisor Rolland calls for Wauwatosa leaders and neighbors to come back to the table and talk - Sup. Shawn Rolland - Oct 12th, 2020
- Supervisor Rolland calls for Wauwatosa’s Police and Fire Commission to meet next week and begin weighing independent investigator’s report - Sup. Shawn Rolland - Oct 9th, 2020
- MPD requests that all individuals who choose to express their First Amendment right to assemble do so peacefully - Milwaukee Police Department - Oct 8th, 2020
- Rep. Robyn Vining Responds to Milwaukee County DA Decision - State Rep. Robyn Vining - Oct 8th, 2020
- Law Enforcement, Protesters Play Cat-Mouse Game After Mensah Decision - Jeramey Jannene - Oct 8th, 2020
Read more about Case of Officer Joseph Mensah here