Latest Report Highlights 20 Percent Decrease in Opioid Prescriptions Dispensed from 2015 to 2017
The report highlights that in 2017 there were 4,066,083 opioid prescriptions dispensed compared to 5,105,729 in 2015.
“Wisconsin is committed to combatting the opioid crisis and our latest report shows that our reforms are working,” Governor Walker stated. “A 20 percent decrease in opioid prescriptions shows how seriously our prescribers and law enforcement take the opioid epidemic, and I remain committed to ensuring they have the tools and resources necessary to continue their good work.”
In addition to the decrease in opioid prescriptions, the report also highlights:
- 26 percent decrease in the number of hydrocodone-acetaminophen pills dispensed in 2017 compared to 2015 dispensing data, or 25,445,488 fewer pills.
- 13 percent decrease in benzodiazepine prescriptions dispensed in 2017 compared to 2015 dispensing data, or 307,461 fewer prescriptions.
- 47 percent decrease in the average monthly doctor shopping alerts when comparing 2017 data to 2015 data. From October 1 – December 31, 2017 there was an average of 14,535 alerts per month compared to January 1 – March 31, 2015 with an average of 27,248 alerts per month.
“As I travel the state, I continue to hear how the PDMP is a tool that is changing the health care provided in Wisconsin for the better,” said DSPS Secretary Laura Gutiérrez. “Furthermore, this report highlights the gains that can be made when government and stakeholders partner together for a better Wisconsin.”
The report also includes information on the number of requests for data made by health care professionals about their patients and the number and makeup of reports submitted by law enforcement.
The Wisconsin PDMP was deployed in June 2013 and is administered by DSPS. Since its inception, the PDMP has primarily been a tool to help health care professionals make more informed decisions about prescribing and dispensing controlled substance prescriptions to patients. It also discloses data as authorized by law to governmental and law enforcement agencies. It stores over 50 million prescription records submitted by over 2,000 pharmacies and dispensing practitioners, with an average of over 19,000 queries performed each day between October 1 and December 31, 2017.
More about the Opioid Crisis
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Announces New Funding for Wisconsin to Combat the Opioid Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 22nd, 2018
- Vukmir Battles Opioid Epidemic - State Sen. Leah Vukmir - Mar 20th, 2018
- Supervisor Peggy West: Time to Hold Drug Makers Accountable - Sup. Peggy A. West - Mar 14th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin to Health Insurers: Step Up Response to Opioid Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 5th, 2018
- Latest Report Highlights 20 Percent Decrease in Opioid Prescriptions Dispensed from 2015 to 2017 - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 2nd, 2018
- Tracking Opioid Deaths by ZIP Code - Isiah Holmes - Mar 1st, 2018
- Governor Walker Discusses the Opioid Epidemic at Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs Conference - Gov. Scott Walker - Feb 5th, 2018
- Vukmir, Nygren Lead Efforts to Combat the Opioid Epidemic - State Sen. Leah Vukmir - Jan 19th, 2018
- Governor Walker Takes Additional Action to Fight Opioid Crisis - Gov. Scott Walker - Jan 19th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump To Renew The Opioid Public Health Emergency - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jan 12th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls on President Trump to Sign Bipartisan Legislation Passed by Congress to Help Halt Flow of Illicit Fentanyl into the United States - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 22nd, 2017
- Drug-Related Deaths To Hit 420 in 2017 - Edgar Mendez - Dec 21st, 2017
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Joins Bipartisan Group of Senators Urging Congressional Leadership to Commit Resources to Opioid Epidemic - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 15th, 2017
- Murphy’s Law: Brad Schimel’s Opioid Problem - Bruce Murphy - Nov 14th, 2017
- Op Ed: State Leaves Counties to Sue Drug Companies - State Senators Janet Bewley and Dave Hansen - Nov 11th, 2017
- Special Report: Opioid Crisis Hits City Hard - Edgar Mendez - Nov 9th, 2017
- Opioid Crisis Still Growing - Dave Fidlin - Oct 30th, 2017
- Op Ed: Nygren, Sidener Dramatize Opioid Problem - Casey Hoff - Oct 18th, 2017
- Op Ed: The Heroin and Opioid Crisis Is Real - Isiah Holmes - Aug 28th, 2017
- The State of Politics: John Nygren’s War on Drug Abuse - Steven Walters - Jul 10th, 2017
- Op Ed: Opioid Crisis Demands Bipartisan Solutions - Jeff Plale - Feb 24th, 2017
- Prescription Drugs Lead Way to Heroin - Wyatt Massey - Mar 17th, 2016
- Heroin Deaths Up 241% Since 2010 - Wyatt Massey - Mar 16th, 2016
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Scott Walker
Global manufacturer expected to create 125 jobs as it expands its iso-thermal forging and heat-treating capacities to meet demand from aerospace customers
"Wisconsin is literally working as more people are employed today than ever before in our history."
Governor Walker Announces Process for Wisconsin Companies to Bid on Work Related to Foxconn ConstructionMar 21st, 2018 by Gov. Scott Walker
State’s Wisconn Valley website now includes details on how to connect potential subcontractors, vendors, suppliers to Construction Manager