Joint Statement on the Sterling Brown case
From Alderman Ashanti Hamilton, Alderman José G. Pérez, Alderman Nik Kovac, Alderman Cavalier “Chevy” Johnson, Alderwoman Chantia Lewis, Alderman Mark A. Borkowski, Alderman Tony Zielinski, Alderman Bob Donovan, Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs, Alderman Robert J. Bauman, Alderman Khalif J. Rainey, and Alderman Russell W. Stamper, II
As Council members we’ve had front row seats to witness far too many situations where the law fails to deliver justice. Despite how we may sometimes feel about the legal process we must remember that it is important to honor that process. While this is a national issue we have had more than our fair share here locally. We are striving to be better stewards of administering justice, and it is in that spirit that we make this joint statement.
The City Attorney’s legal response to the petition filed by Sterling Brown‘s attorney does not reflect the policy position of the city. We hold that every resident should be approached with the highest level of professionalism and always treated with dignity and respect by all city employees. The content of the body-worn camera videos from the incident with Sterling Brown clearly do not reflect what we expect from police officers or any other city employee.
As a Council, we are calling for unity from the many people who are rightly paying close attention to this case. We think that this case – and the too many others like it in our community and beyond – should get all of us to focus on enacting the systematic change we have been calling for.
We are collectively redirecting our efforts to identify solutions (including the directives to the MPD that are a part of the stop-and-frisk lawsuit settlement with the ACLU) that will prevent incidents like the one involving Sterling Brown and others in the community from occurring in the future.
More about the Sterling Brown Case
- Court Watch: Police Officer Denies Stepping on Sterling Brown - Gretchen Schuldt - Feb 19th, 2020
- The Sterling Brown Case: More Details on Tasing of Bucks Player - Gretchen Schuldt - Nov 21st, 2019
- The Sterling Brown Case: ‘Could Have Been Dead People in Walgreens.’ - Gretchen Schuldt - Nov 11th, 2019
- City Attorney candidate Tearman Spencer releases statement on Sterling Brown case - Tearman Spencer - Oct 11th, 2019
- City Hall: Council Okays Settlement to Sterling Brown - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 4th, 2019
- City Attorney Shifts Blame to Sterling Brown - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Aug 29th, 2018
- Joint Statement on the Sterling Brown case - Milwaukee Common Council - Aug 29th, 2018
- Op Ed: Jim Crow and Urban America - Dr. Robert S. Smith - Jun 25th, 2018
- Brown Files Suit Against Milwaukee Police - Ximena Conde - Jun 19th, 2018
- Chief Won’t Name Cops Who Tased Brown - Ximena Conde - May 25th, 2018
- Sterling Brown incident authenticates predictions from years past - Ald. Tony Zielinski - May 25th, 2018
- Mahlon Mitchell Statement on the Release of Body Cam Footage Involving Sterling Brown - Mahlon Mitchell - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Moore Omokunde Statement on Sterling Brown Video - Sup. Supreme Moore Omokunde - May 24th, 2018
- City Hall: Police Reform Needed, Say Council Members - Jeramey Jannene - May 24th, 2018
- Rep. Bowen: Statement on release of bodycam footage of Sterling Brown - State Rep. David Bowen - May 24th, 2018
- Sterling Brown case leaves us with many unanswered questions - Ald. Bob Donovan - May 24th, 2018
- Supervisor Nicholson Statement on Sterling Brown Incident - Sup. Marcelia Nicholson - May 24th, 2018
- Gov. Scott Walker Quick to Weigh in on NFL Player Protests, Silent on Release of Footage Showing Authorities Assaulting Milwaukee Buck Sterling Brown - One Wisconsin Now - May 24th, 2018
- Murphy’s Law: Police Video Gets National Attention - Bruce Murphy - May 24th, 2018
- Black Leaders Organizing for Communities (BLOC) calls for accountability for officers involved in the Sterling Brown video - Black Leaders Organizing for Communities - May 23rd, 2018
- Bucks Organization Statement on Sterling Brown - Milwaukee Bucks - May 23rd, 2018
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Common Council
From Alderman Russell W. Stamper, II, Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs, Alderman Ashanti Hamilton, Alderman Khalif J. Rainey, Alderwoman Chantia Lewis and Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd
From Alderman Cavalier Johnson, Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd, Alderman Mark A. Borkowski, Alderman Nik Kovac, Alderman Robert J. Bauman, Alderman Michael J. Murphy, Alderman Scott Spiker, Alderman José G. Pérez, Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa and Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic
From Alderman Ashanti Hamilton, Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs, Alderman Russell W. Stamper, II, Alderwoman Chantia Lewis, Alderman Khalif J. Rainey, Alderman Cavalier Johnson and Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd