Joint Statement on the One-Year Anniversary of the Capitol Insurrection
MILWAUKEE – In recognition of the one-year anniversary of the January 6, 2021 insurrection at the US Capitol inspired by former President Trump’s lies, State Representatives Jonathan Brostoff (D-Milwaukee), Dora Drake (D-Milwaukee), Francesca Hong (D-Madison), Christine Sinicki (D-Milwaukee), Lee Snodgrass (D-Appleton), and Samba Baldeh (D-Madison) and State Senators Chris Larson (D-Milwaukee), LaTonya Johnson (D-Milwaukee), and Kelda Roys (D-Madison) released the following statement:
“One year ago today, domestic extremists inspired by President Trump attacked the US Capitol, the first such attack in our nation’s history. Goaded on by the President’s lies about election fraud, the willingness by certain Congressional Republicans to play along with the President’s evil aims, and the overwhelming silence of altogether too many other Republicans at every level of government, hundreds of insurrectionists broke down windows and doors, threatened the lives of law enforcement and sitting lawmakers of both parties, and desecrated the halls of one of the most sacred spaces of American democracy.
On this awful day, we call upon each and every one of our Republican colleagues, at every level of government, to make it very clear where they stand: whether with democracy, or with President Trump and the seeds of American fascism. To those who believe in the results of the 2020 election but remain silent: abandon cowardice, and do your duty. Stand up for truth and our American ideals. Live up to your oaths of office, and defend our Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. And to those who spread lies and live in the shadows of evil: resign your positions. Your willingness to aid and abet the enemies of democracy makes you a disgrace to elected office, and unfit to serve.
Today is not a day to mince words. It is a day to loudly and proudly declare our faith and belief in this system that has stood strong for over two hundred years. Today is a day to recommit ourselves to truth, democracy, and the American way.”
- Op Ed: Kaul Should Charge Ron Johnson, 10 Fake Electors - Matt Rothschild - Jan 8th, 2023
- WisDems Chair Ben Wikler Statement on the Anniversary of 1/6 - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 6th, 2023
- Congresswoman Gwen Moore Statement on Two-Year Anniversary of January 6th - U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore - Jan 6th, 2023
- Wisconsin GOP Chair Expressed Concern About Fake Electors Plan, Then Joined In - Shawn Johnson - Dec 23rd, 2022
- Report Calls For Criminally Charging State’s Fake Electors - Henry Redman - Dec 19th, 2022
- Vos Sues Jan. 6 Committee - Shawn Johnson - Sep 26th, 2022
- Wisconsin’s Starring Role in Jan. 6 Insurrection - Ruth Conniff - Jun 9th, 2022
- Democrats File Suit Against State Republicans Who Posed As Electors - Shawn Johnson - May 17th, 2022
- Plover Man Charged in U.S. Capital Attack - Deneen Smith - May 14th, 2022
- Ron Johnson Attended Meeting To Oppose Election Certification - Henry Redman - Feb 5th, 2022
Read more about Chaos at the Capitol here