Johnson Introduces Bill to Ensure Assistance for Businesses in Need, Transparency in PPP Loans
WASHINGTON — U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) introduced the Paycheck Protection Program Integrity Act this week, legislation to ensure Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans are forgiven for the businesses most in need of federal assistance and to ensure full transparency of PPP loan distributions.
“PPP was created to be a lifeline to businesses and non-profit organizations devastated by government shutdown orders and the COVID recession. It was never intended to protect or enhance profits for thriving businesses or organizations,” Senator Johnson said. “This legislation will help direct financial relief to those that truly need it, and limit the extent to which we further mortgage our children’s future.”
A PPP loan recipient need only submit its tax return for the taxable year of the covered loan, and subtract the PPP loan amount from any after-tax income to determine any PPP loan repayment. Non-profit loan recipients need only submit their net assets for this and the previous year, and subtract the PPP loan amount from any net assets increase that occurred from year-to-year to determine any PPP loan repayment. The Paycheck Protection Program Integrity Act does not apply retroactively to previously issued loans.
The Paycheck Protection Program Integrity Act also requires full disclosure of PPP loan information to the IRS, an agency inspector general, the Pandemic Recovery Accountability Committee, Congress, or to the public as provided under the Freedom of Information Act. This gives taxpayers full transparency on how their dollars are being used for PPP.
Full text of the legislation can be found here.
- WI Daily: 805 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Announces $50 Million to Support Kids’ Learning Opportunities, Mental Health - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
- Ron Johnson Doubles Down on Toxic Vote Against American Rescue Plan, Tells WI Voters They Didn’t Deserve Direct Checks - Protect Our Care Wisconsin - Apr 20th, 2021
- Governor Evers, DHS Announce More Than $175 Million to Support COVID-19 Testing in Schools - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 20th, 2021
- Senator Johnson Admits “Stand(ing) in the Way of Getting Checks to Everybody” - Opportunity Wisconsin - Apr 20th, 2021
- Robin Vos Must Stop Spreading Vaccine Doubts Online - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Apr 19th, 2021
- WI Daily: 373 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 19th, 2021
- WI Daily: 518 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 18th, 2021
- WI Daily: 727 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 17th, 2021
- WI Daily: 709 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 16th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson