Hunters reminded to set sights on safety by inspecting cabin heating systems
Know the difference between protected swans and legally hunted species
Milwaukee – Before hanging a tree stand or settling into the woods to enjoy a state tradition, We Energies urges deer hunters to stay safe by thoroughly inspecting their cabin’s heating system.
Inspecting a hunting cabin’s heating system can help avoid a dangerous or even fatal buildup of carbon monoxide. This invisible, odorless gas is created by improper venting or burning of fuel.
To prevent a buildup of carbon monoxide, hunters should:
- Install carbon monoxide detectors inside their cabins, or check existing detectors to ensure they are working properly.
- Check heating vents, flues and chimneys, and clear away any animal nests or debris.
- Never use a portable electric generator indoors.
Hunters also should learn to recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- A sudden flu-like illness
- Dizziness, headaches or sleepiness
- Cherry-red lips and an unusually pale complexion
- Nausea or vomiting
- A fluttering heartbeat
We Energies also reminds hunters to be aware of power lines and electric distribution equipment near hunting grounds.
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by We Energies