Gov. Evers Signs Executive Order #54 Calling for a Special Session on Legislation to Address Gun Violence
"Today I am delivering on my promise to call a special session to address gun violence across our state and I'm calling on Republicans to work with Democrats to get this done."
MADISON — Gov. Tony Evers today signed Executive Order #54 calling the Legislature to meet in a special session on Nov. 7, 2019 to address gun violence in the state of Wisconsin.
“Since taking office in January, I have called on the Legislature to take action and pass commonsense gun safety reform time and time again, giving Republican leadership the opportunity to hear the people of our state and to do the right thing,” Gov. Evers said. “Today I am delivering on my promise to call a special session to address gun violence across our state and I’m calling on Republicans to work with Democrats to get this done.”
In the Executive Order, Gov. Evers requests the Legislature act on two critical proposals that are supported by 80% of Wisconsinites. The proposals outlined include:
- Legislation to close the background check loophole by requiring universal background checks for all firearm purchases in the state of Wisconsin.
- Legislation to create an extreme risk protection order (ERPO) process that will give family members and law enforcement officials the tools they need to intervene when an individual is at risk of harming themselves or others.
Executive Order #54 can be found here.
Office of the Governor
- Gun Violence: Where personal agenda and personal responsibility separate - Tom Palzewicz - Jul 9th, 2020
- Nothing Changed After Molson Coors Shooting - Allison Stevens - Mar 6th, 2020
- Op Ed: Losing Sheila’s Smile - Jeff Spitzer-Resnick - Dec 31st, 2019
- Baldwin Helps Secure Federal Funding to Conduct Gun Violence Research For First Time in More Than 20 Years - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 19th, 2019
- How Gerrymandering Stalls Gun Safety - Robin Bravender - Dec 17th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls for Action on Funding Gun Violence Research at CDC - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Evers May Call Second Special Session on Guns - Laurel White - Nov 19th, 2019
- Rep. Anderson Addresses Republican Inaction on Gun Reform - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Nov 8th, 2019
- Rep. Considine Reacts to Legislature’s Inaction During Special Session - State Rep. Dave Considine - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republicans Dismiss Governor’s Special Session - Laurel White - Nov 8th, 2019
Read more about Gun Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers
Gov. Evers Announces Successful Roll Out of Online COVID-19 Test Registration at National Guard Testing SitesJul 9th, 2020 by Gov. Tony Evers
COVID Connect provides shorter wait times and faster results