Gov. Evers Delivers Democratic Weekly Radio Address Calling for Legislative Action on Gun Safety Reform
The following is Gov. Tony Evers‘ radio address on his call for the Legislature to meet in a special session to address gun safety reform in the state of Wisconsin.
Hey there, Wisconsinites. This Governor Tony Evers, and today I’m asking for your help.
Earlier this week, I signed an executive order delivering on my promise to call for a special session on gun safety reform.
And I called on Republicans and Democrats to work together on two pieces of legislation that 80% of Wisconsinites— and a majority of gun owners—support.
The first bill requires universal background checks for all firearm purchases so that no matter where a person is buying a firearm or who they’re buying it from, the process is the same for everyone.
And the second bill creates an extreme risk protection order process in Wisconsin, allowing loved ones and law enforcement to petition to remove guns from individuals who have been found by a judge to be a danger to themselves or others.
Now, I want to be clear: I support the 2nd Amendment, and that’s why I support these bills.
But folks, this is where I need your help.
Members of the Legislature shouldn’t be able to ignore 80% of the people of our state, and folks like you should have the chance to hold them accountable if they do.
Universal background checks and extreme risk protection orders are things we should all be able to agree on.
So, that’s why I’m asking you to please contact your legislators between now and November 7th and ask them to do their job, give these bills a vote, and let their vote speak for itself.
I’ve said all along that the will of the people is the law of the land.
It’s time for members of the Legislature to start listening to the people of our state and get to work on addressing gun violence in Wisconsin.
Thanks for listening, and I hope I can count on you to help. Let’s get to work.
- Gun Violence: Where personal agenda and personal responsibility separate - Tom Palzewicz - Jul 9th, 2020
- Nothing Changed After Molson Coors Shooting - Allison Stevens - Mar 6th, 2020
- Op Ed: Losing Sheila’s Smile - Jeff Spitzer-Resnick - Dec 31st, 2019
- Baldwin Helps Secure Federal Funding to Conduct Gun Violence Research For First Time in More Than 20 Years - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Dec 19th, 2019
- How Gerrymandering Stalls Gun Safety - Robin Bravender - Dec 17th, 2019
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Calls for Action on Funding Gun Violence Research at CDC - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Nov 22nd, 2019
- Evers May Call Second Special Session on Guns - Laurel White - Nov 19th, 2019
- Rep. Anderson Addresses Republican Inaction on Gun Reform - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Nov 8th, 2019
- Rep. Considine Reacts to Legislature’s Inaction During Special Session - State Rep. Dave Considine - Nov 8th, 2019
- Republicans Dismiss Governor’s Special Session - Laurel White - Nov 8th, 2019
Read more about Gun Violence here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Gov. Tony Evers
Sales and use taxes from out-of-state retailers and marketplace providers results in more than $250 million in tax relief targeted toward lower and middle-income taxpayers
Gov. Evers Provides Update on Investments made in Public Health, Emergency Response, and Economic StabilizationOct 20th, 2020 by Gov. Tony Evers
Administration continues to prioritize Wisconsin communities in COVID-19 pandemic response