GOP Bungling Could Cost Wisconsin Taxpayers Millions
Republican Lame Duck Laws Continue to Obstruct State A.G.
MADISON – After the 2018 fall elections, Republicans called for a lame duck Extraordinary Session and changed state law in an effort to consolidate power and undermine the democratically elected Attorney General Josh Kaul. 2017 Wisconsin Act 369 changed state law to require the Joint Finance Committee approve any of the Attorney General’s settlement agreements. To comply with the new law, A.G. Kaul requested approval from the Joint Finance Committee on a critical settlement. Republicans on the committee however, have so far refused to take action on the lawsuit, putting Wisconsin at risk of losing millions of dollars.
“In their reckless and politically-motivated reaction to A.G. Kaul’s election, Republicans passed poorly conceived proposals without thinking through the consequences,” said Senate Democratic Leader Jennifer Shilling (D-La Crosse). “Once again, we are seeing the confusion and chaos caused by the Republican lame duck laws. It is disgraceful that Republicans are preventing the Attorney General from doing the job he was elected to. The state could be at risk of losing millions of settlement dollars and taxpayers will bear the brunt because of Republican bungling.”
As Purdue Pharma and Johnson & Johnson reach settlement agreements with state and local governments for their role in the opioid epidemic, Wisconsin could lose out on millions in funding and consumer protections if Republicans continue to obstruct the A.G.
- Wisconsin Budget: State Faces April 16 Deadline for Medicaid Money - Jon Peacock - Apr 7th, 2020
- Change Lame Duck Law, Baldwin Urges Legislators - Melanie Conklin - Apr 5th, 2020
- GOP Lame-Duck Law Blocks COVID-19 Aid - Melanie Conklin - Apr 2nd, 2020
- State Supreme Court Reviews Lame Duck Laws - Ruth Conniff - Oct 22nd, 2019
- Kaul Says Lame Duck Law Costs Taxpayers - Melanie Conklin - Sep 10th, 2019
- Democrats’ Bill Repeals Lame Duck Law - Laurel White - Sep 6th, 2019
- GOP Bungling Could Cost Wisconsin Taxpayers Millions - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Sep 4th, 2019
- Murphy’s Law: Lame Duck Laws Hurting the State - Bruce Murphy - Sep 4th, 2019
- Questions Swirl Around State Budget Committee Republicans’ Hiring of Lawyer/Lobbyist at Taxpayer Expense - One Wisconsin Now - Sep 4th, 2019
- Lame Duck Laws Opposed Overwhelmingly - Erik Gunn - Sep 4th, 2019
Read more about Lame Duck Laws here