DNR To Host Online Listening Sessions Nov. 18 Regarding PFAS Investigation In Marinette, Peshtigo And Surrounding Communities
Public Encouraged To Submit Comments
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is holding online listening sessions on Wednesday, Nov. 18 to seek public input on PFAS contamination in Marinette, Peshtigo and surrounding communities. The meeting is the 11th in a series of 13 meetings the DNR will host for area residents.
PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) are a group of human-made chemicals used for decades in numerous products including non-stick cookware, fast food wrappers, stain-resistant sprays and certain types of firefighting foam.
These contaminants have made their way into the environment through spills of PFAS-containing materials, discharges of PFAS-containing wastewater to treatment plants and certain types of firefighting foams.
In addition to routine updates regarding the status of the PFAS investigations in the community, the meeting will include:
- An update on potable well sampling in the Expanded Site Investigation Area.
- A presentation by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services Division of Public Health on the groundwater quality standard recommendations for certain PFAS compounds, commonly referred to as “Cycle 11.”
- An update on recent fish tissue sampling and the next steps for sampling additional area water bodies.
The Nov. 18 sessions will take place online from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. No pre-registration is required. The sessions will be conducted using Zoom video conferencing.
Zoom meeting link: https://zoom.us/j/99497114924
Zoom meeting phone number: 312-626-6799
Zoom meeting ID: 994 9711 4924
- DNR To Host Online Listening Sessions Nov. 18 Regarding PFAS Investigation In Marinette, Peshtigo And Surrounding Communities - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Nov 16th, 2020
- DNR Wants Johnson Controls to Test More Fish for PFAS - Danielle Kaeding - Nov 14th, 2020
- New Groundwater Standards Proposed - Danielle Kaeding - Nov 8th, 2020
- State Agencies Announce Additional Groundwater Quality Standard Recommendations - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Nov 6th, 2020
- DNR Faces Biggest Pollution Case Ever - Danielle Kaeding - Oct 25th, 2020
- DNR Asking For Public Input On Wisconsin PFAS Action Plan - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Oct 5th, 2020
- DNR To Fund Sampling Of Hundreds Of Potable Wells For PFAS In The Town Of Peshtigo - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Sep 30th, 2020
- 13% of Wells Near JCI Site Have Elevated PFAS Levels - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 27th, 2020
- DNR Notified Of Possible Separate Contamination Issue At Marinette Facility That Has Paused PFAS Treatment - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Sep 18th, 2020
- 99% of State Public Water Meets Standards - Danielle Kaeding - Sep 16th, 2020
Read more about PFAS Problem here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Fund Supports Habitat Management On State Lands