DNR To Host Online Listening Sessions Nov. 18 Regarding PFAS Investigation In Marinette, Peshtigo And Surrounding Communities
Public Encouraged To Submit Comments
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is holding online listening sessions on Wednesday, Nov. 18 to seek public input on PFAS contamination in Marinette, Peshtigo and surrounding communities. The meeting is the 11th in a series of 13 meetings the DNR will host for area residents.
PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) are a group of human-made chemicals used for decades in numerous products including non-stick cookware, fast food wrappers, stain-resistant sprays and certain types of firefighting foam.
These contaminants have made their way into the environment through spills of PFAS-containing materials, discharges of PFAS-containing wastewater to treatment plants and certain types of firefighting foams.
In addition to routine updates regarding the status of the PFAS investigations in the community, the meeting will include:
- An update on potable well sampling in the Expanded Site Investigation Area.
- A presentation by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services Division of Public Health on the groundwater quality standard recommendations for certain PFAS compounds, commonly referred to as “Cycle 11.”
- An update on recent fish tissue sampling and the next steps for sampling additional area water bodies.
The Nov. 18 sessions will take place online from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. No pre-registration is required. The sessions will be conducted using Zoom video conferencing.
Zoom meeting link: https://zoom.us/j/99497114924
Zoom meeting phone number: 312-626-6799
Zoom meeting ID: 994 9711 4924
- Conservation voters urge expansion of clean water protections - Wisconsin Conservation Voters - May 20th, 2021
- DNR Hosts Virtual Listening Sessions On PFAS Contamination In Marinette & Peshtigo On May 19 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - May 18th, 2021
- AG Kaul Leads 19 AGs in Urging EPA to Require Public Water Systems to Monitor for Additional PFAS - Josh Kaul - May 10th, 2021
- Peshtigo Residents Faced “Massive” PFAS Contamination - John McCracken - May 7th, 2021
- Evers, Democrats Push PFAS Contamination Bill - Hope Kirwan - Apr 22nd, 2021
- Gov. Evers, State Legislators Announce Legislation to Address Statewide PFAS Contamination - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 21st, 2021
- State Officials Push Action on PFAS - Shamane Mills - Apr 20th, 2021
- PFAS In Wisconsin Webinar 2 p.m. April 19 - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 16th, 2021
- New Fish Consumption Advisory For Silver Creek - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 15th, 2021
- DNR Extends Deadline For Town Of Peshtigo Residents To Receive Free PFAS Sampling Of Private Drinking Water Wells - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Apr 9th, 2021
Read more about PFAS Problem here