Wisconsin Department of Revenue
Press Release

Department of Revenue Collections, January FY2021 General Purpose Revenue ($ in thousands – rounded)

 

By - Feb 19th, 2021 02:02 pm
Collections for Month Collections to Date
Revenue Source FY20 FY21 % change FY20 FY21 % change
Individual Income      1,194,672      1,082,709 -9.4%      5,199,480      5,122,192 -1.5%
Adjusted      1,118,481      1,313,801 17.5%      5,199,480      5,426,031 4.4%
General Sales & Use          573,920          592,659 3.3%      3,059,740      3,110,794 1.7%
Corporate            77,856          156,584 101.1%          837,206      1,355,143 61.9%
Excise Taxes            56,735            55,103 -2.9%          358,412          354,672 -1.0%
Other              6,545          (11,574) -276.8%          234,778          243,802 3.8%
Total GPR      1,909,728      1,875,480 -1.8%      9,689,616    10,186,604 5.1%
Adjusted      1,833,536      2,106,572 14.9%      9,689,616    10,490,443 8.3%

This report includes general purpose revenue (GPR) taxes collected by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue and does not include taxes collected by the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance, administrative fees, and other miscellaneous revenues. Total General Fund tax collections are reported in the Department of Administration’s Report of Monthly General Fund Financial Information, which includes GPR and program revenue taxes collected by all state agencies.

 Notes:

  1. In Fiscal Years (FY) 2020 and 2021, the adjusted lines exclude withholding that was received on the first working day of January, rather than the last day of December, which was a holiday.  In FY21, the adjusted lines include withholding that was received on the first working day of February, rather than the last day of January, which was a weekend.  The Collections to Date in FY21 were also affected.
  2. Individual Income includes 60.7% of pass-thru withholding. Corporate Income includes the remaining 39.3%.
  3. The Other category includes estate, utility, and real estate transfer tax collections.  Every year there is a large transfer out of the utility accounts.  In 2020 this transfer occurred in December, but in 2021 it occurred in January.  This accounts for the large decline in the Other category for the month of January.
  4. Total does not include insurance premium taxes.
  5. This report is generated from the STAR Accounting System. Timing differences may cause the amounts in this report to differ from reports produced by the Department of Administration.
  6. All data are preliminary and unaudited.

Mentioned in This Press Release

Leave a Reply

You must be an Urban Milwaukee member to leave a comment. Membership, which includes a host of perks, including an ad-free website, tickets to marquee events like Summerfest, the Wisconsin State Fair and the Florentine Opera, a better photo browser and access to members-only, behind-the-scenes tours, starts at $9/month. Learn more.

Join now and cancel anytime.

If you are an existing member, sign-in to leave a comment.

Have questions? Need to report an error? Contact Us