Comments by newly appointed interim Health Department commissioner troubling
Statement of Alderman Michael J. Murphy - February 9, 2018
On a local radio show this week, newly appointed interim Health Department commissioner Dr. Patricia McManus stated “the science is still out” on a link between vaccines and autism. This is not true and it is a very troubling view from someone who has just been entrusted with the public health of our city and the future lives of untold thousands of children.
Our top public health official should be an advocate for the best public health practices and with the goal of ensuring the good health of all of Milwaukee’s children.
This is the very reason why I asked for her nomination to be taken up in a public confirmation hearing before the Common Council could take final action on her appointment. Anyone who watched Tuesday’s Council meeting knows that I feel strongly on this issue and it’s why I pushed for a public process for this important appointment.
In the future I believe we must resist the pressure to act quickly and instead allow a candidate’s views to be vetted thoroughly in a public process.
- City Hall: Milwaukee on 70-Year Pace To Replace Lead Laterals - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 13th, 2020
- City Hall: Audit Gives Water Works High Marks - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 12th, 2020
- League of Women Voters Presents Forum on Lead Poisoning March 6 - League of Women Voters of Milwaukee County - Mar 2nd, 2020
- AG Objects to Relaxed Lead Pipe Rules - Melanie Conklin - Feb 14th, 2020
- City Hall: Former Health Director Blames Barrett - Jeramey Jannene - Dec 24th, 2019
- Statement of Bevan K. Baker - Bevan K. Baker - Dec 23rd, 2019
- Mayor Barrett Proposes $2.2 Million in Block Grant Funds for Lead Abatement - Mayor Tom Barrett - Dec 4th, 2019
- City Hall: Health Department Probe a State Matter - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 14th, 2019
- City Hall: Proposal Uses Lead Abatement Funds for Marketing - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 7th, 2019
- Op Ed: Everyone Deserves Clean Water - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Nov 4th, 2019
Read more about Lead Crisis here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Michael Murphy
Statement of Alderman Michael J. Murphy June 10, 2020
Statement of Alderman Michael J. Murphy June 9, 2020
Statement of Alderman Michael J. Murphy June 4, 2020